Computers in my LAN is not seen

• Thread starter transporter84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary: Download and run WinsockFix for XP2) With only two PC's on the LAN, install NETBEUI as well as the existing TCP/IP3) Enable File and Print sharing on both PCs4) Right click on a folder on one PC and share it before trying to see it from the other PC.
transporter84
computers in my LAN is not seen !

please every one ,,, i have a question ... i wish u can help me

i have a LAN , and i can not make ping command in any copmuter in the LAN , also all of the other computer have the same problem , also i can not make sharing for folders between the computers in the LAN because i can not see them in (my network places ) .
when i make a ping on any computer in the LAN ( even my computer ) , i get (request time out ) ...
so ... the question is how i can see them , and share files wiyh them .
my router ( modem ) contain an internal switch ... siemens gigaset ( SE568 ).

please if anyone can help me or has an idea ... please inform me .

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I presume you're using windows. How many computers do you have on your LAN? Are they all in the same workgroup?

Can each computer browse the [external] web?

What is the [local] IP address of each machine?
For each Windows computer, Start-> Run...-> cmd
at the command line... ipconfig /all
You're looking for something like 192.168.xxx.yyy
Do all computers have the same "Default Gateway"?

Can you log into the router?
...and see the list of attached devices?Are the computers running a software-based firewall?

Last edited:
Home LAN or a workplace LAN? Through a router or switch?

If you take a simple home router and connect two PC's and they cannot ping each other you either have a wiring problem, or a firewall problem.

What software do you have running on the PCs? A lot of "internet security" software packages include antivirus, antispyware, and a firewall. The firewall may be enabled by default and be causing some problems.

I think the big shouty letters software has stopped your ability to create a workgroup.

mmmm ,,, thank u every one who care,, i will try all your ideas , actually these are answers for some of ur questions:
we are just two computers in the lan
we have the same local gateway
i can log into the router and can see both the two attached device
i use widows xp sp2 , and i turned off the firewall in the both two copmuters

thank u very much .

transporter84 said:
mmmm ,,, thank u every one who care,, i will try all your ideas , actually these are answers for some of ur questions:
we are just two computers in the lan
we have the same local gateway
i can log into the router and can see both the two attached device
i use widows xp sp2 , and i turned off the firewall in the both two copmuters

thank u very much .

I bet they're not in the same workgroup. Check the workgroup that each computer is in; if they don't coincide, then that probably explains why you can't see one from another.

cristo said:
I bet they're not in the same workgroup. Check the workgroup that each computer is in; if they don't coincide, then that probably explains why you can't see one from another.

...but if ping fails, I think it's something other than a [Windows networking] workgroup issue.
I wonder if there is another software-firewall running... like Norton or something.
Check the Task Manager for any running software.

Here's an idea...
can you boot up something like the Knoppix LiveCD on both machines?
...then try to ping each machine. If that fails, then maybe there is a hardware problem. If it works, then I would look more carefully at the Windows software.

robphy said:
...but if ping fails, I think it's something other than a [Windows networking] workgroup issue.
That's a good point. I overlooked that part of his message!

cristo said:
That's a good point. I overlooked that part of his message!

Hmm...

The router sees both does it?

1) Download and run WinsockFix for XP
2) With only two PC's on the LAN, install NETBEUI as well as the existing TCP/IP

Wait one! Is File and Print sharing turned on? Have you right clicked on a folder on one PC and shared it before trying to see it from the other PC?

1. Why are the computers in my LAN not visible to each other?

There could be several reasons for this. One common reason is that the computers are not connected to the same network. Check to make sure all computers are connected to the same router or switch. Another possibility is that the firewall settings on one or more computers are blocking communication between them. Lastly, there could be an issue with the network configuration or settings, which may require troubleshooting or a network reset.

2. How can I fix the issue of computers in my LAN not being seen?

First, check the physical connections of the network and make sure all devices are properly connected. Then, try disabling the firewall temporarily to see if that allows the computers to communicate. If not, try resetting the network settings or restarting the router. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to consult a network technician for further assistance.

3. Can a software update cause computers in my LAN to not be visible?

Yes, a software update can potentially cause issues with network connections, including computers not being seen on the LAN. It is always a good idea to check for updates and ensure that all devices are running the latest versions of their respective software. If an update does cause connectivity issues, try rolling back to a previous version or contacting the software provider for assistance.

4. How can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

To prevent computers in your LAN from not being seen, make sure to regularly check for updates for your devices and software. Additionally, ensure that your network settings are properly configured and all devices are connected to the same network. It may also be helpful to have a backup plan in case of network connectivity issues, such as having a secondary internet connection or a backup router.

5. Is it possible for a faulty device to cause computers in my LAN to not be seen?

Yes, a faulty device, such as a router or network card, can potentially cause connectivity issues within a LAN. If you suspect that a specific device is causing the problem, try disconnecting it from the network and see if that resolves the issue. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the faulty device or consult a technician for further assistance.