1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing for magnetic force. Please check my answer.

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle with charge -4nC and velocity

[itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = [itex] (2.5\times 10^{4}) \hat{i}[/itex] + [itex] (1.1 \times 10^{4}) \hat{j}[/itex] (m/s)

if the magnetic field in the region is given by

[itex]\vec{B}[/itex] = [itex](1.2\times 10^{-3}) \hat{i}[/itex] + [itex](5.6 \times 10^{-3}) \hat{j}[/itex] - [itex](3.2 \times 10^{-3}) \hat{k}[/itex] (T).

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = q ([itex]\vec{v}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]\vec{B}[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = q ([itex]\vec{v}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]\vec{B}[/itex])

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = ([itex] -4 \times 10^{-9} C [/itex]) [itex] \left[\left((2.5\times 10^{4}) \hat{i} + (1.1 \times 10^{4}) \hat{j}\right) \times \left((1.2\times 10^{-3}) \hat{i} + (5.6 \times 10^{-3}) \hat{j} - (3.2 \times 10^{-3}) \hat{k} \right) \right][/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = ([itex] -4 \times 10^{-9} C [/itex])[itex] \left[\left[(1.1 \times 10^{4})(-3.2 \times 10^{-3})\right] \hat{i} - \left[(2.5 \times 10^{4})(-3.2 \times 10^{-3})\right] \hat{j}+ \left[(2.5 \times 10^{4})(5.6 \times 10^{-3}) - (1.1 \times 10^{4}) (1.2 \times 10^{-3})\right] \hat{k}\right] [/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = ([itex] -4 \times 10^{-9} C [/itex]) ([itex]-35.2 \hat{i} + 80 \hat{j} + 126.8 \hat{k} [/itex])

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = [itex] (1.4 \times 10^{-7}) \hat{i}[/itex] - [itex] (3.2 \times 10^{-7}) \hat{j} - (5.0 \times 10^{-7})\hat{k} [/itex] (N)

Is this already the answer? Am I correct? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi jhosamelly! :wink:

looks ok so far :smile:

now the question asks for the "magnitude and direction" :wink:

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    Yah.., that's what I was thinking ..

I know how to get the magnitude.. Its

[itex]\left|\vec{F}\right|[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(A_x)^2 + (A_y)^2 + (A_z)^2 }[/itex]

but the question also asks for the direction.. which I think is the i-hat, j-hat, and k-hat..

so., I think my answer earlier is already the final answer.. If not. How can I find the direction?

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi jhosamelly! :smile:

yes, that's the magnitude

my guess is that they want the direction defined by the unit vector :wink:

6. Feb 7, 2012 #5
    hmmm.. meaning the question is asking if the force is pointing along the + or - , x- y- or z- axis.....?? so i have three directions?? + x-axis, - y-axis and - z-axis? This is what confused me... I know this is not possible.. so, what is the direction of the force?

7. Feb 7, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

nooo …

the is a unit vector in every direction

every vector r is|r| (the magnitude) times the unit vector r^ :wink:

8. Feb 7, 2012 #7

ow yah! Right! Thanks for reminding me :))

so I need to do

[itex] \hat{F} [/itex] = [itex] \frac{\vec{F}}{\left|\vec{F}\right|} [/itex]

9. Feb 7, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Feb 7, 2012 #9

I already did it.

[itex]\left|\vec{F}\right|[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(A_x)^2 + (A_y)^2 + (A_z)^2 }[/itex]

[itex]\left|\vec{F}\right|[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(1.4 \times 10^{-7})^2 + (-3.2 \times 10^{-7})^2 + (-5.0 \times 10^{-7})^2 }[/itex]
    [itex]\left|\vec{F}\right|[/itex] = [itex] 6.18 \times 10^{-7} [/itex]

[itex] \hat{F} [/itex] = [itex] \frac{\vec{F}}{\left|\vec{F}\right|} [/itex]

[itex]\hat{F} [/itex] = [itex] \frac{(1.4 \times 10^{-7}) \hat{i} - (3.2 \times 10^{-7}) \hat{j} - (5.0 \times 10^{-7})\hat{k}}{6.18 \times 10^{-7}} [/itex]

[itex] \hat{F} [/itex] = [itex] .23 \hat{i}[/itex] - [itex] .52 \hat{j} - .82 \hat{k} [/itex]

so, again I still have 3 components.. Hmmmm... What's the direction then?

11. Feb 7, 2012 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

d'oh!! :rolleyes:

that unit vector is the direction! :smile:

12. Feb 7, 2012 #11
    Is that so?? hmmmm... I know that only happens if only one component is left?? O well, I was mistaken.. thanks for your help.

13. Feb 7, 2012 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

perhaps i should add …

i j and k are the basis unit vectors​

14. Feb 7, 2012 #13
    I see.. Big thanks :)) So the final answer is that unit vector and the magnitude. I see. Thanks :))))))))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook