Computing for magnetic force. Please check my answer.

In summary: ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
jhosamelly

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle with charge -4nC and velocity

[itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = [itex] (2.5\times 10^{4}) \hat{i}[/itex] + [itex] (1.1 \times 10^{4}) \hat{j}[/itex] (m/s)

if the magnetic field in the region is given by

[itex]\vec{B}[/itex] = [itex](1.2\times 10^{-3}) \hat{i}[/itex] + [itex](5.6 \times 10^{-3}) \hat{j}[/itex] - [itex](3.2 \times 10^{-3}) \hat{k}[/itex] (T).

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = q ([itex]\vec{v}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]\vec{B}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = q ([itex]\vec{v}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]\vec{B}[/itex])

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = ([itex] -4 \times 10^{-9} C [/itex]) [itex] \left[\left((2.5\times 10^{4}) \hat{i} + (1.1 \times 10^{4}) \hat{j}\right) \times \left((1.2\times 10^{-3}) \hat{i} + (5.6 \times 10^{-3}) \hat{j} - (3.2 \times 10^{-3}) \hat{k} \right) \right][/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = ([itex] -4 \times 10^{-9} C [/itex])[itex] \left[\left[(1.1 \times 10^{4})(-3.2 \times 10^{-3})\right] \hat{i} - \left[(2.5 \times 10^{4})(-3.2 \times 10^{-3})\right] \hat{j}+ \left[(2.5 \times 10^{4})(5.6 \times 10^{-3}) - (1.1 \times 10^{4}) (1.2 \times 10^{-3})\right] \hat{k}\right] [/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = ([itex] -4 \times 10^{-9} C [/itex]) ([itex]-35.2 \hat{i} + 80 \hat{j} + 126.8 \hat{k} [/itex])

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = [itex] (1.4 \times 10^{-7}) \hat{i}[/itex] - [itex] (3.2 \times 10^{-7}) \hat{j} - (5.0 \times 10^{-7})\hat{k} [/itex] (N)

Is this already the answer? Am I correct? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jhosamelly! :wink:

looks ok so far :smile:

now the question asks for the "magnitude and direction" :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi jhosamelly! :wink:

looks ok so far :smile:

now the question asks for the "magnitude and direction" :wink:

Yah.., that's what I was thinking ..

I know how to get the magnitude.. Its

[itex]\left|\vec{F}\right|[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(A_x)^2 + (A_y)^2 + (A_z)^2 }[/itex]

but the question also asks for the direction.. which I think is the i-hat, j-hat, and k-hat..

so., I think my answer earlier is already the final answer.. If not. How can I find the direction?

hi jhosamelly! :smile:

yes, that's the magnitude

my guess is that they want the direction defined by the unit vector :wink:

hmmm.. meaning the question is asking if the force is pointing along the + or - , x- y- or z- axis...?? so i have three directions?? + x-axis, - y-axis and - z-axis? This is what confused me... I know this is not possible.. so, what is the direction of the force?

jhosamelly said:
hmmm.. meaning the question is asking if the force is pointing along the + or - , x- y- or z- axis...??

nooo …

the is a unit vector in every direction

every vector r is|r| (the magnitude) times the unit vector r^ :wink:

tiny-tim said:
nooo …

the is a unit vector in every direction

every vector r is|r| (the magnitude) times the unit vector r^ :wink:

ow yah! Right! Thanks for reminding me :))

so I need to do

[itex] \hat{F} [/itex] = [itex] \frac{\vec{F}}{\left|\vec{F}\right|} [/itex]

Yup! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
Yup! :biggrin:
I already did it.

[itex]\left|\vec{F}\right|[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(A_x)^2 + (A_y)^2 + (A_z)^2 }[/itex]

[itex]\left|\vec{F}\right|[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(1.4 \times 10^{-7})^2 + (-3.2 \times 10^{-7})^2 + (-5.0 \times 10^{-7})^2 }[/itex]
[itex]\left|\vec{F}\right|[/itex] = [itex] 6.18 \times 10^{-7} [/itex][itex] \hat{F} [/itex] = [itex] \frac{\vec{F}}{\left|\vec{F}\right|} [/itex]

[itex]\hat{F} [/itex] = [itex] \frac{(1.4 \times 10^{-7}) \hat{i} - (3.2 \times 10^{-7}) \hat{j} - (5.0 \times 10^{-7})\hat{k}}{6.18 \times 10^{-7}} [/itex]

[itex] \hat{F} [/itex] = [itex] .23 \hat{i}[/itex] - [itex] .52 \hat{j} - .82 \hat{k} [/itex]

so, again I still have 3 components.. Hmmmm... What's the direction then?

jhosamelly said:
[itex] \hat{F} [/itex] = [itex] .23 \hat{i}[/itex] - [itex] .52 \hat{j} - .82 \hat{k} [/itex]

so, again I still have 3 components.. Hmmmm... What's the direction then?

d'oh! :rolleyes:

that unit vector is the direction! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
d'oh! :rolleyes:

that unit vector is the direction! :smile:

Is that so?? hmmmm... I know that only happens if only one component is left?? O well, I was mistaken.. thanks for your help.

perhaps i should add …

i j and k are the basis unit vectors​

tiny-tim said:
perhaps i should add …

i j and k are the basis unit vectors​

I see.. Big thanks :)) So the final answer is that unit vector and the magnitude. I see. Thanks :))))))))

1. What is magnetic force computing and how does it work?

Magnetic force computing is the use of computing technology to model and analyze the behavior of magnetic forces. It involves using mathematical algorithms and computer simulations to understand and predict the effects of magnetic fields on various materials and objects.

2. What are the applications of magnetic force computing?

Magnetic force computing has a wide range of applications, including in the design of electronic devices, magnetic levitation systems, and medical imaging. It is also used in research to study the behavior of magnetic materials and in industries like aerospace and energy.

3. What are the limitations of magnetic force computing?

One of the main limitations of magnetic force computing is the complexity of the mathematical models and simulations involved. It also relies heavily on accurate data and assumptions, which can be challenging to obtain in some cases. Additionally, magnetic force computing may not be able to fully capture all the intricacies of real-world magnetic systems.

4. How does magnetic force computing compare to other computational methods?

Magnetic force computing is a specialized form of computational science that focuses specifically on the behavior of magnetic forces. It is often used in conjunction with other computational methods, such as finite element analysis or molecular dynamics, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of a system.

5. What are the future developments in magnetic force computing?

As technology advances, the future of magnetic force computing looks promising. There is ongoing research to improve the accuracy and efficiency of simulations, as well as the development of new algorithms and techniques. Additionally, the integration of magnetic force computing with other computational methods is expected to lead to even more advanced and powerful tools for studying magnetic systems.