1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing max tensile and compressive stress in a bar

1. Mar 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've used all the proper equations and done all the work with no problem. My only question is when computing the maximum stress, how do I know which one is the tensile and which on is the compressive? I've attached all my work and came out with Max stress = 3.84 Mpa and Max stress = 2.77 Mpa. I just want to know how I decide which one is compressive or tensile stress. Thanks!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    strengths

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2
    Sorry first post and all the work is already done, so my formatting is probably incorrect

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Based on just how his beam is loaded, what would you expect the deflection of the beam to be? Would it curve up or down in the center?

5. Mar 14, 2015 #4
    The beam is going to bend in the shape of a U. So it'll bend down in the center

6. Mar 14, 2015 #5
    haha sorry its going to bend up in the center, like an lower case n.

7. Mar 14, 2015 #6
    Thanks man I think i figured it out. The top is going to be experiencing tension and the bottom compression. Thank you!

8. Mar 18, 2015 #7
    An easy way to remember this is that the outside of the bend is in tension and the inside of the bend is in compression.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted