1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the Maximum Tensile and Compressive Stresses in the Beam

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two vertical forces are applied to a beam of the cross section shown. Determine the maximum tensile and compressive stresses in portion BC of the beam

I have attached an image of the question

2. Relevant equations

σ = P/A +/- My/Ix

Ix = Ix + Ad2 ---> parallel axis theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the centroid to be:

x = 4.5 in

y = 3 in

I did this by dividing the shape into two rectangles, determining the centers of those rectangles from an arbitrarily assigned origin, O, which I assigned to be at the bottom left of the lower rectangle.

I then used the parallel axis theorem to calculate the Inertia, Ix

P = 0 because the sum of the forces is 0.

M is the greatest moment value, which I found to be 600 kip-in.

My confusion is how do I determine the y value? I believe that the greatest tensile and compressive stresses would be at the bottom and top of the bar respectively, but my notes indicate that the correct y-values are 3 in for the tensile stress and 5 in for the compressive stress. I had thought that the y values was from the centroid of the cross-section which makes me think it should be 3 in for the max compressive and tensile forces.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

I know the final answers are

8.82 ksi T

14.72 ksi C

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2
    Never mind, I figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted