1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concave Lens _ Image Formation

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    A concave lens always forms a virtual image (for a real object), will it always form a real image for a virtual object? (that is, when rays converge on it)

If yes, why?

If no, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ask yourself what happens to the rays leaving an object when they pass through a concave lens. Would they ever be brought together to form a real image?
    There's your answer.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    They Diverge?

Yes?

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If two rays are, as you say, 'diverging' then how can they meet at a point to form a real image? They are surely getting further and further apart. No?

btw, what is a "virtual object"? (I missed that when I first read it).

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

However . . . . if you have a convex lens, producing a real image and you put a concave lens between the first lens and the image it forms, then the resulting (real) image will be formed a bit further away than the original (real) image.

7. Oct 30, 2011 #6
    This precisely. If you put a Concave Lens in front of an image (make the converging rays that form the said image, fall on the concave lens before they can intersect and form he image) then that image should act as an object (virtual?) for the concave lens.

So basically an actual object that you place in front of a lens, is a real object.

the original (real) image as you put it is no longer real because it was never formed, right? The rays were supposed to intersect but the lens intercepted them before that could happen. That is what I mean by a virtual object.

So again, for a virtual object, will a concave lens Always form real image?

That is if two converging rays were to fall on a concave lens could it diverge them so much that they appear to come from behind the mirror as opposed to only shifting a bit further.

8. Oct 30, 2011 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are talking of an intermediate image and not a virtual object here, I think.

In answer to your original question, I would say that you can produce a real or virtual image, depending on the focal lengths of the two lenses and the position.
    A Galilean telescope has a convex lens with a concave eyepiece lens - producing a virtual image at a distance which you can actually focus you eye on. The optics inside some camera lenses produces a shifted real image because of the presence of a concave element. So there is no general rule.

9. Oct 30, 2011 #8
    Are you familiar with the thin-lens equation? If so, you can answer this question for yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook