Concave Mirror Experiment Question

In summary: The virtual image is created because the light rays from the object never intersect at a point, but converge behind the mirror therefore creating an image that cannot be seen on the screen but instead in the mirror.
xxbooknotexx

Homework Statement

We did an experiment with a concave mirror.
Concave mirror was placed on optics bench and a candle was placed at designated spots. A screen was used to see where the image was projected. When the object was placed between the focal point, image was not produced on the screen. So the image that was produced inside the mirror was virtual.
Can anyone explain why this happened?
Main question: How do you explain the virtual image that was created when the object was placed between the focal length and the mirror?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing that the light rays from the object never intersect at a point, but converge behind the mirror therefore creating an image that cannot be seen on the screen but instead in the mirror.
This photo explains a bit to me, but I'm still confused.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Concavemirror_raydiagram_F.svg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that the light rays from the object never intersect at a point, but converge behind the mirror therefore creating an image that cannot be seen on the screen but instead in the mirror.
Correct - what's the problem?

Good to know I'm on the right path, but i'd like a more completed answer of what's happening.

I have a question regarding this topic: How do you explain the image formed on the spherical mirror on the left of the following image?

http://www.uwsp.edu/physastr/kmenning/images/spherical.mirrors.jpg

Obviously, that mirror is a concave mirror and the candle has been placed at a point farther than the focal length of the mirror. The image then is real and inverted, and can be projected on a screen.

My question is regarding the image that appears on the mirror itself. The image of the candle seems to be located on the back of the mirror, as if it were a virtual image.

In other words: if real images formed by concave mirrors are located on front of the mirror, why do we see the image on the mirror itself, as if it were located behind the mirror?

Could you please give an explanation for that?

The attempt at a solution
I guess concave mirrors act like flat mirrors for the real images they form.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a concave mirror experiment?

A concave mirror experiment is an optical experiment that involves using a concave mirror to study the reflection of light. The mirror is a curved reflective surface that can focus or diverge light rays, depending on the position of the object in front of it.

2. What materials are needed for a concave mirror experiment?

The materials needed for a concave mirror experiment include a concave mirror, a light source (such as a flashlight or laser), an object to reflect light off of, a ruler or measuring tape, and a piece of paper or screen to catch the reflected light.

3. What is the purpose of a concave mirror experiment?

The purpose of a concave mirror experiment is to study the properties of light reflection and how they are affected by curved reflective surfaces. This can help us understand how concave mirrors are used in everyday objects like telescopes, headlights, and makeup mirrors.

4. How do you conduct a concave mirror experiment?

To conduct a concave mirror experiment, first set up the materials in a well-lit area. Place the concave mirror on a flat surface and position the light source and object in front of it. Use the ruler to measure the distance between the object and the mirror, and the distance between the mirror and the screen. Adjust the position of the object and mirror until a clear and focused image is seen on the screen.

5. What are some real-world applications of concave mirror experiments?

Concave mirror experiments have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in telescopes to gather and focus light from distant objects, in headlights to reflect light and create a beam of light, and in makeup mirrors to magnify the reflection of the face. They are also used in medical imaging devices, such as MRI machines, to create clear and detailed images of structures inside the body.