1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentrated Magnetic Fields

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    As I understand it, you can create a concentrated magnetic field at a specific point by having two electromagnets in a cone shape, both pointed at each other. The cone effectively condenses the field, and is strongest at the region between the points of two cones. Is this understanding even correct? How would I best express this phenomena in physical equations, so I can make precise calculations?

Thank you for any feedback.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2015 #2
    Hhhmmm...I am not sure what you have in mind.

You may want to research permeability and reluctance.

Basically, ferromagnetic materials allow the formation of magnetic fields much denser than in free space; so, conic or not, the magnetic field between tips will be dense and less dense towards the midpoint (it will tend to disperse in air).

Also, there is only so much magnetic field you can inject into piece of metal given its permeability and physical cross section before the magnetic field no longer fits; at that point, you are spending energy to excite magnetic field that is in the air around and not in the metal. Research Magnetic Saturation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook