Concept problem, we can determine the possible value of Lx in hydrogen

In summary, the book of introduction to quantum mechanics states that the value of Lx in the hydrogen atom cannot be determined. This means that while Lx can be measured, it does not have a fixed unique value. However, there may be questions or situations where the possible value of Lx needs to be determined, such as in a practice question. In these cases, it is important to understand the concept behind this statement and to consider the relationship between Lx and Lz.
VHAHAHA
concept problem, we can determine the possible value of Lx in hydrogen atom?
The book of introduction to quantum mechanics told me that The value of Lx can not be determined.
I know the concept behind this statement
However, when I am practicing, I see one of my question that requires me the determine the possible value of Lx as well as the probability! This is not a homework.
How to determine it? It is possible? The book tell me that Lx can be determined! Is there anything that I am missing?

Attachments

• quan.png
    quan.png
    19 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the attachment related to the question?

The book of introduction to quantum mechanics told me that The value of Lx can not be determined.
More context would be interesting.
I guess it is a statement like "if we know Lz, Lx has no fixed unique value".
You can measure Lx, and you will get a result, but then Lz has no longer a fixed unique value.

1. How is the value of Lx determined in hydrogen?

The value of Lx in hydrogen can be determined using the Rydberg formula, which relates the wavelength of emitted light to the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. By measuring the wavelength of the emitted light, the value of Lx can be calculated.

2. What is the significance of determining the value of Lx in hydrogen?

The value of Lx in hydrogen is significant because it provides insight into the quantum mechanics of the atom. It helps us understand the energy levels and transitions of the hydrogen atom, which is the simplest and most abundant atom in the universe.

3. How does the value of Lx affect the behavior of hydrogen atoms?

The value of Lx affects the behavior of hydrogen atoms by determining the energy levels at which electrons can exist. This, in turn, affects the spectral lines and transitions of the hydrogen atom, which are important for understanding the properties and behavior of matter.

4. Can the value of Lx in hydrogen change?

Yes, the value of Lx in hydrogen can change due to factors such as changes in temperature or pressure. This can result in shifts in the energy levels and spectral lines of the hydrogen atom.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the value of Lx in hydrogen?

Yes, there are other methods for determining the value of Lx in hydrogen, such as spectroscopy and quantum mechanical calculations. These methods provide more precise values and can be used to study more complex atoms and molecules.