Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual difficulty with faradays law

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    As i understand, the induced current in a wire equals -d(∫∫B⋅dS)/dt
    What is S? I know it has to be an open surface for the flux integral to be non-zero, but over what surface do i do the integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That should be the induced EMF, not current.

Consider the surface bounded by the wire.

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
    Oh thats right the voltage not current (i dont know why they say emf is a force if its really a potential)
    so the loop has to be closed then?

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

jtbell

The loop has to be closed. In principle, you can use any open surface whose boundary is the loop in question. In practice, you use a surface that makes it easy to calculate the flux of ##\vec B##.

6. Dec 6, 2014 #5
    Thanks that makes since I was just thinkin in terms of some general wire but I guess the circuit would have to be closed for you to attach a voltometer.

So if the circuit is open there is no voltage generated?

7. Dec 6, 2014 #6

jtbell

A changing magnetic field is associated with an electric field, according to Maxwell's equations: $$\vec \nabla \times \vec E = - \frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}$$ or $$\oint {\vec E \cdot d \vec l} = - \frac{d}{dt} \int {\vec B \cdot d \vec a}$$ The electric field in turn produces an emf along a specified path: $$\mathcal{E} = \int {\vec E \cdot d \vec l}$$ So I would say the emf exists because the electric field does, regardless of whether there is a wire along that path or not, or a voltmeter to measure it. In order to produce a steady-state current, you need a circuit, i.e. a closed loop of wire that electrons can travel along.

8. Dec 6, 2014 #7
    interesting... i wish the book i read had put it that way. i never even knew the curl of the electric field could be non-zero this really gives me a whole new perspective of whats going on here

9. Dec 6, 2014 #8

jtbell

You started with electrostatics in which ##\vec E## does not change with time, and magnetostatics in which ##\vec B## does not change with time. In those situations, ##\vec \nabla \times \vec E = 0## so ##\vec E## is a conservative field and you can define the electric potential. Now you're starting on electrodynamics (time-varying ##\vec E## and ##\vec B## fields) in which this is no longer the case.
    Pretty soon you'll see Maxwell's Equations all together in their glory. :bow:

(This stuff was what made me decide to be a physics major, by the way!)

10. Dec 6, 2014 #9
    lol awesome i know relativity is up next so im getting pretty excited

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook