What Physics Principles Explain These Phenomena?

In summary, the conversation discusses topics related to the changes in linear and angular velocities of a particle moving along an expanding spiral, the shape of liquid surface when a vessel filled with water is moving with constant acceleration, and the mechanism behind a vacuum cleaner turning through a small angle. The conversation touches upon concepts of normal acceleration, angular acceleration, inertia, and conservation of angular momentum.
eqreal
Hi there, I've found some conceptual physics which i am confused about. Can anyone help me out?

1) Let's say if a particle is moving along an expanding spiral in a manner that the particle's normal acceleration remains constant. How will the linear and angular velocities change in the process?

2) If a vessel filled with water is moving horizontal with constant acceleration, ω. What shape will the surface of the liquid have?

3)Let's say if a vacuum cleaner standing on the floor turns through a small angle when the switched is on and then stops. Why does that happen?

Please kindly suggest your opinions! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
eqreal said:
1) Let's say if a particle is moving along an expanding spiral in a manner that the particle's normal acceleration remains constant. How will the linear and angular velocities change in the process?

2) If a vessel filled with water is moving horizontal with constant acceleration, ω. What shape will the surface of the liquid have?

3)Let's say if a vacuum cleaner standing on the floor turns through a small angle when the switched is on and then stops. Why does that happen?

Ummh ….
Ans 1) A particle when moving along a spiral path is constantly undergoing acceleration as it is continuously changing its direction. also when the spiral is expanding
I guess that by "normal acceleration" you mean angular acceleration …? linear velocity may remain constant but angular velocity will definitely reduce in this scenario as the radius in increasing.

Ans 2) The vessel is moving with constant acceleration (not constant velocity) so the shape of the liquid surface would be backward tilted slope {\ } because of inertia.

Ans 3) Vacuum cleaner turning … ? well this may just be a case of conservation of angular momentum ….because of motor turning…. something similar to how rockets and missiles navigate inspite of only one thrust outlet and no ports to change the direction.

1. What is conceptual physics?

Conceptual physics is the study of the fundamental principles and concepts that govern the behavior of the physical world. It does not involve complex mathematical equations, but rather focuses on developing a deep understanding of how the world works.

2. Why is conceptual physics important?

Conceptual physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us. It allows us to make sense of everyday phenomena and to make informed decisions based on scientific principles. It also provides a foundation for more advanced areas of physics and other scientific fields.

3. What are some common topics covered in conceptual physics?

Some common topics covered in conceptual physics include motion, forces, energy, electricity, magnetism, waves, and light. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of objects in our daily lives.

4. How can I improve my understanding of conceptual physics?

The best way to improve your understanding of conceptual physics is through practice and experimentation. Work through problems and try to apply the concepts to real-life situations. You can also watch videos, read books, and attend lectures to gain a deeper understanding.

5. What are some real-world applications of conceptual physics?

Conceptual physics has many real-world applications, such as designing and building machines, understanding how technology works, and making informed decisions about energy usage. It also helps us understand natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and the behavior of the universe.