Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual Problem with Friction FBD.

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    here is the scenario:

there are 2 blocks A & B, both have the same mass 'm'.
    block A is kept on an endless surface.
    there is no friction between the block A and the surface.
    now the other block, B, is kept on top of the block A.
    the coeff of friction between A & B is say 'u'.
    the limiting friction between A & B is therefore = umg = 'f'.
    now say i apply a force 'F', equal to 'f', on the block A, i.e F = f.

What will be the FBD's for A and B.

I did the FBD for B & A and i am getting f = 0 = F , which is not possible since f = umg.
    So I think i have made some mistake.

And I am not saying that A and B are necessarily stationary initially, they could be moving with a uniform velocity.

Is this suggesting that since there is no relative motion between A & B therefore there is no friction existing. If this is the case then isnt this contradicting the fact that B moves with A
    (with a relative velocity = 0) due to friction when a force is applied to A and that if friction was not present A would just slide past underneath B and B would just fall to the ground.
    kindly help me out with this!

Thanks.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Realize that the limiting friction is not necessarily equal to the actual friction force.

If you push A with a force equal to μmg, then the friction acting between the masses will be only half that.

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    not sure i understand what you're saying.

5. May 17, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Try this: Assume that you push block A with a force equal to μmg. What will be the acceleration of the two-block system? Use that to figure out the friction force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook