Conceptual Question in Non-dimensionalisation

• Thread starter patata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, non-dimensionalising an equation involves removing the units from it by dividing the variable t by any specific number of years. In the context of a biological population, tau represents the fraction of the maximum age an animal has lived, with tau=0 being a newborn and tau=0.5 being halfway through its maximum age. Another non-dimensional variable introduced, y, also represents the fraction of the maximum age an animal has lived, with 'a' being the age of the organism.
patata
Hi there everybody, while not a specific homework problem, in my PDE class i have come along a question which i don't quite understand.

Now, when non-dimensionalising an equation, i believe the purpose is to remove the units from it? Now, we are talking about a biological population and are told 't' is time, 'a' is the age of the animal and amax is the maximum age an animal can reach. Now when non-dimensionalising the given equation we're told that

tau = t / amax

I'm not to sure what exactly time over the maximum age of the animal actually represnts, could anybody help enlighten me? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing the variable t, measured in years, by any specific number of years will give you a "non-dimensional" variable. The specific divisor is not terribly important until it comes time to "interpret" the variables. Here, it looks like "t/amax" is just the fraction of the maximum age the animal has lived. If tau= 0, this is a new born. If tau= .5, it has lived half of the "maximum age".

Thanks for your help Halls, your reasoning makes sense, however, the next non-dimensionalised variable we have to introduce is

y = a / amax,

so wouldn't this also represent the fraction of the maximum age the animal has lived? keeping in mind that 'a' is the age of the organism..

Thanks once again for your help

Related to Conceptual Question in Non-dimensionalisation

1. What is non-dimensionalisation?

Non-dimensionalisation is a process used in science and engineering to simplify mathematical models by eliminating units and scaling variables to make them dimensionless. This allows for easier analysis and comparison of systems with different scales and units.

2. Why is non-dimensionalisation important?

Non-dimensionalisation is important because it helps to simplify complex mathematical models, making them easier to solve and analyze. It also allows for easier comparison and generalization of results across different systems, as it eliminates the effects of differing scales and units.

3. How is non-dimensionalisation performed?

Non-dimensionalisation is performed by introducing dimensionless parameters, such as the Reynolds number or Mach number, which relate important variables in a system to each other. These parameters are then used to scale the equations of the model, eliminating units and simplifying the equations.

4. What are the benefits of non-dimensionalisation?

Non-dimensionalisation has several benefits, including simplifying complex mathematical models, making them easier to analyze and solve. It also allows for easier comparison and generalization of results across different systems, as it eliminates the effects of differing scales and units. Non-dimensionalisation can also reveal important relationships between variables in a system.

5. Can non-dimensionalisation be applied to any system?

Yes, non-dimensionalisation can be applied to any system as long as there are variables with different units and scales. However, the effectiveness and level of simplification achieved through non-dimensionalisation may vary depending on the complexity of the system and the chosen dimensionless parameters.