Conditions of dot product

In summary, the dot product of two vectors, a and b, is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. For the equations a) and b), this means that they are only equivalent when the angle between a and b is 0, making them parallel.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Under what conditions are the following true?

a) [tex]|\mathbf{a}\cdot \mathbf{b}| =|\mathbf{a}||\mathbf{b}|[/tex]

b) [tex](\mathbf{a} + \mathbf{b}) \cdot (\mathbf{a} - \mathbf{b}) = |\mathbf{a}|^2 - |\mathbf{b}|^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I don't understand why the answer is [tex]\mathbf{a} = \lambda \mathbf{b}[/tex]. Surely it would be equivalent all the time?

b) Also looks equivalent all the time to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware that the dot product of any two perpendicular vectors is 0? It isn't likely that [itex]|\mathbf{u}||\mathbf{v}|= 0[/itex] in that case is it?

a) One definition of dot product is [itex]\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b}= |\mathbf{a}||\mathbf{b}| cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the two vectors. For what [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]cos(\theta)= 1[/itex]?

b) [tex](\mathbf{a}+ \mathbf{b})\cdot(\mathbf{a}- \mathbf{b})= \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{a}+ \mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a}- \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{a}+ \mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{b}[/tex]

Now, is [itex]\mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{x}= |\mathbf{x}|^2[/itex]? Is [itex]\mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{y}= \mathbf{y}\cdot\mathbf{x}[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
Are you aware that the dot product of any two perpendicular vectors is 0? It isn't likely that [itex]|\mathbf{u}||\mathbf{v}|= 0[/itex] in that case is it?

a) One definition of dot product is [itex]\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b}= |\mathbf{a}||\mathbf{b}| cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the two vectors. For what [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]cos(\theta)= 1[/itex]?

b) [tex](\mathbf{a}+ \mathbf{b})\cdot(\mathbf{a}- \mathbf{b})= \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{a}+ \mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{a}- \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{a}+ \mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{b}[/tex]

Now, is [itex]\mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{x}= |\mathbf{x}|^2[/itex]? Is [itex]\mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{y}= \mathbf{y}\cdot\mathbf{x}[/itex]?

Yeah I am aware. For a) I would say it could only be equivalent if the dot product doesn't equal 0, but I don't get why the answer is [tex]\mathbf{a} = \lambda \mathbf{b}[/tex]

b) I agree as x^2 gives you the absolute value and x * y is the same as y * x, but how does this apply to b?

TsAmE said:
Yeah I am aware. For a) I would say it could only be equivalent if the dot product doesn't equal 0
No. What if the dot product were 1/2? Would that make the two sides of the equation equal? The two sides of that equation are equal only if the dot product is 1. That's different from what you said.

Look at what HallsOfIvy wrote about the coordinate-free definition of the dot product.
TsAmE said:
, but I don't get why the answer is [tex]\mathbf{a} = \lambda \mathbf{b}[/tex]

b) I agree as x^2 gives you the absolute value and x * y is the same as y * x, but how does this apply to b?

TsAmE said:
Yeah I am aware. For a) I would say it could only be equivalent if the dot product doesn't equal 0, but I don't get why the answer is [tex]\mathbf{a} = \lambda \mathbf{b}[/tex]
The dot product not equaling 0 is not relevant. Answer my question: For what [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]cos(\theta)= 1[/itex]?

Then you agree that [itex](a+ b)\cdot(a- b)= a\cdot a+ a\cdot b- b\cdot a- b\cdot b[/itex] (I miswrote that as "[itex]+ b\cdot b[/itex] before)
[itex]= |a|^2+ a\cdot b- a\cdot b- |b|^2[/itex]. What does that reduce to (for all a and b)?

HallsofIvy said:
The dot product not equaling 0 is not relevant. Answer my question: For what [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]cos(\theta)= 1[/itex]? When theta = 0, so a) is only equivalent when vector a and b are parallel?
HallsofIvy said:
Then you agree that [itex](a+ b)\cdot(a- b)= a\cdot a+ a\cdot b- b\cdot a- b\cdot b[/itex] (I miswrote that as "[itex]+ b\cdot b[/itex] before)
[itex]= |a|^2+ a\cdot b- a\cdot b- |b|^2[/itex]. What does that reduce to (for all a and b)?
It reduces to [itex]= |a|^2- |b|^2[/itex] so the LHS = RHS, but for what condition?

1. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the products together.

2. How is the dot product used in physics?

In physics, the dot product is commonly used to calculate the work done by a force on an object. It is also used to calculate the angle between two vectors, which is important in determining the direction of a magnetic field or the torque on a rotating object.

3. What are the conditions for the dot product to be defined?

The dot product is defined for two vectors in any dimension, as long as they have the same number of components. However, the vectors must also be in the same coordinate system and have a defined angle between them.

4. How does the dot product relate to the magnitude of two vectors?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the dot product, as it is equal to the square root of the dot product of the vector with itself. Additionally, the dot product is maximized when the two vectors are parallel, and minimized when they are perpendicular.

5. Is the dot product commutative?

No, the dot product is not commutative. This means that the order in which the vectors are multiplied matters, and switching the order will result in a different value for the dot product.