Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confidence intervals for two separate variables?

1. May 16, 2013 #1
    Hi

I have a certain experiment that I repeat 40 times and get the result:

0.001 +/- 0.004.

Now I've repeated the experiment using a different method (so it is essentially a new experiment) and I get a new value:

-0.002 +/- 0.003

Now, is it true to say there is no statistically significant difference between these two different methods? Even though they lie within each other's standard deviation, I think the fact that I've repeated the experiment 40 times should mean something- it makes me confident that method 2 gives a lower result. I don't know how to translate this confidence into statistical analysis though.

The fact that the means are different is clearly not sufficient to convince anyone... how can I convince someone that method 2 gives a lower result? Let's say I even repeat the experiment another 40 times and get EXACTLY the same means and standard deviations. But I know with more certainty the means are different because I've done more experiments. How do I show this using maths though (without actually having to do the experiments?).

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

4. May 16, 2013 #3
    Perfect. Stats really should be compulsory for undergrad physicists!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook