Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal invariance of gluon amplitudes

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm very ashamed to not understand how even the simplest gluon amplitudes are conformally invariant. See eg http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0312171 pages 11-12.
    [tex]
    M(1^-,2^-,3^+)=\delta(\sum_i \lambda_i\tilde{\lambda}_i)\frac{\langle12\rangle^4}{\langle12\rangle \langle 23\rangle\langle31\rangle}
    [/tex]
    the dilation operator is:
    [tex]
    D\sim \lambda\frac{\partial}{\partial \lambda}+\tilde{\lambda}\frac{\partial}{\partial \tilde{\lambda}}+2
    [/tex]
    First, I assume the dilation operator contains a sum over all particles. Next, Witten says the delta function carries weight -4 under D. Ok. Then he says that [tex]\langle 12\rangle^4[/tex] has weight 4. This I don't get. Doesn't it have weight 4 under just eg [tex]\lambda_1\frac{\partial}{\partial \lambda_1}[/tex]
    So
    [tex]D \langle12\rangle^4=\sum_i (\lambda\frac{\partial}{\partial \lambda}+\tilde{\lambda}\frac{\partial}{\partial \tilde{\lambda}}+2)\langle12\rangle^4=[(4+0+2)+(4+0+2)+(0+0+2) ] \langle12\rangle^4?=14\langle12\rangle^4[/tex]

Thanks for any help:)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2
    Conformal invariance is obvious, because you're talking about the tree amplitude which simply reflects the classical behaviour of the theory. The Yang-Mills Lagrangian is classically conformal invariant. Only loop graphs break this symmetry. But if you want to explicitly verify conformal invariance from the MHV amplitude expression, I haven't studied enough to answer that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook