Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal mapping in Complex Analysis

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    I would appreciate if someone could explain Conformal Mapping using Complex Analysis using an example. I get the rough idea but have no clue how complex analysis comes into the picture.

Thank You!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Apr 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks for reply.
    Can you give an example to show how it works?
    I am finding it difficult to visualize.
  5. Apr 17, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I cannot since I cannot understand what you need to do in order to understand it. A map is conformal at a point if its derivative doesn't vanish. It is a definition. Look up how angles transform (in terms of derivatives) to see why. I've no idea what you mean ny "how it works", sorry.

The map z goes to az+b (a=/=0) is a conformal mapping (ie map conformal at all points of its domain) of C to C. it's a rotation, scaling and translation, obviously it preserves angles.
  6. Apr 17, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

using complex analysis one can prove that all conformal isomorphisms of the "complex plane", extend to complex automorphisms of the extended complex plane (the compelx projective "line"), hence have form (az+b)/(cz+d).

For example, the map sending z to w = (z-i)/(z+i) is an isomorphism of the extended complex plane, which sends the points z which are closer to i than to -i, to those points w of norm less than one.

I.e. this is an isomorphism from the upper half plane, onto the open unit disc.

Examples of conformal mappings seldom use complex analysis, but proofs that they have a certain form do so.

(I am using the word conformal here in the sense of not just angle preserving, which is the correct meaning, but also orientation preserving, hence complex holomorphic.)
  7. Apr 28, 2005 #6
    From the complex point of view, the porpuse is to investigate in more general terms the character of transforms for which the mapping function [tex] w = u(x,y) + i\nu(x,y) [/tex] is analytic.

Since w = f(z) is analytic, substituting into the jacobian determinant, we get

[tex] J \left ( \frac{u,\nu}{x,y} \right ) = \begin{vmatrix} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} & - \frac{\partial \nu}{\partial x} \\ \frac{\partial \nu}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \end{vmatrix} = |f'(z)|^2 [/tex]

From here there are 4 theorems which can be deduced...
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?