Conformal mappings - need explanation

• Thread starter zezima1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, the conversation discusses the analytic functions h and f, where h is a function of w and f is a function of z. It is stated that if h is analytic, then F, which is a function of h, is also analytic. The Laplace equation is satisfied by both f and F in the z and w plane. The book also mentions that if the real part of f is constant over a boundary C in the z-plane, then the real part of F is also constant over the boundary C' in the w-plane, where C' is the transformed curve of C in the w-plane. The speaker expresses confusion over this conclusion, but it is clarified that this is possible because C' is the preimage of C in
zezima1
My book goes through this, but there are some things that I don't understand.
Let z = h(w), where h is analytic. Then F(w) = f(h(w)) is also analytic if f(z) is analytic. Thus in the z and w plane f and F satisfy the Laplace equation.
My book then says: "Further, suppose that Re f(z) is constant over a boundary C in the z-plane, then Re F(w) is constant over the boundary C' in the w-plane, where C' is the curve that C is transformed to in the w-plane.."
I have emphasized the last bit, because this is the thing I don't understand. What allowed you to make the conclusion that Re F(w) is constant over the boundary C' in the w-plane? Certainly the Re F(w) can also be a function of I am f(z), right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have a curve C on the z-plane where Re f(C) is constant, the we also have C' which is the preimage of C in the w-plane , or C'=h^(-1) (C). Thus f(h(C')) =f(C), constant real part
Strictly on the boundary ofcourse

Last edited:

FAQ: Conformal mappings - need explanation

1. What are conformal mappings?

Conformal mappings are mathematical transformations that preserve angles between intersecting curves. In simpler terms, they are transformations that preserve the shape and angles of a figure.

2. Why are conformal mappings important?

Conformal mappings are important because they are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and cartography to solve problems involving complex shapes and angles. They also have applications in computer graphics and image processing.

3. How do conformal mappings differ from other types of mappings?

Conformal mappings are different from other types of mappings because they preserve angles, while other types of mappings may distort angles or shapes. They are also unique in that they preserve the shape of a figure locally, meaning that small portions of the figure are transformed in a conformal manner.

4. Can you give an example of a conformal mapping?

One example of a conformal mapping is the stereographic projection, which maps the surface of a sphere onto a plane. This transformation preserves angles and shapes, making it useful in cartography and creating 3D maps.

5. How are conformal mappings used in physics?

Conformal mappings are used in physics to solve problems involving complex geometries and to study physical phenomena. They are also used in quantum field theory to transform non-conformal theories into conformal ones, making them easier to analyze and study.