1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal mappings - need explanation

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    My book goes through this, but there are some things that I don't understand.
    Let z = h(w), where h is analytic. Then F(w) = f(h(w)) is also analytic if f(z) is analytic. Thus in the z and w plane f and F satisfy the Laplace equation.
    My book then says: "Further, suppose that Re f(z) is constant over a boundary C in the z-plane, then Re F(w) is constant over the boundary C' in the w-plane, where C' is the curve that C is transformed to in the w-plane.."
    I have emphasized the last bit, because this is the thing I don't understand. What allowed you to make the conclusion that Re F(w) is constant over the boundary C' in the w-plane? Certainly the Re F(w) can also be a function of Im f(z), right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2
    Well you have a curve C on the z-plane where Re f(C) is constant, the we also have C' which is the preimage of C in the w-plane , or C'=h^(-1) (C). Thus f(h(C')) =f(C), constant real part
    Strictly on the boundary ofcourse

Last edited: May 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook