Exploring Ethane Conformations: Understanding Carbon Atom Rotation in a Molecule

• Thread starter Karan Punjabi
  • Start date
In summary: Basically you want to say that one carbon atom rotates?Yes, the other then does not.Look at it this way. Rotation is relative right? So if from "outside ", one carbon seems to be rotating then if I change my reference frame to the rotating carbon then the other carbon seems to be rotating!
Karan Punjabi
Considering a Ethane molecule, it can have infinite confirmations but my question is in this molecule only one carbon atom rotate or both of them rotate? Please specify and give reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
Karan Punjabi said:
Considering a Ethane molecule, it can have infinite confirmations but my question is in this molecule only one carbon atom rotate or both of them rotate? Please specify and give reason.
Are you talking about rotational degrees of freedom where the rotation of the molecule in each of two directions picks up part of the molecule's total thermal energy?

jbriggs444 said:
Are you talking about rotational degrees of freedom where the rotation of the molecule in each of two directions picks up part of the molecule's total thermal energy?
I don't know about these conformations in detail. Just want to know that both molecules of CH3- rotate or one of the molecule rotates.

The word is conformations and the angle is the angle one carbon rotates over with respect to the other. So it's a relative angle.

BvU said:
The word is conformations and the angle is the angle one carbon rotates over with respect to the other. So it's a relative angle.
Basically you want to say that one carbon atom rotates?

Yes, the other then does not.

Look at it this way. Rotation is relative right? So if from "outside ", one carbon seems to be rotating then if I change my reference frame to the rotating carbon then the other carbon seems to be rotating!
In short, yeah only one carbon rotates.

Your question would become fairly more significant if we were drawing conformers of a compound which had two adjacent chiral carbons, but let's not go there unless you want to ;)

CrazyNinja said:
Look at it this way. Rotation is relative right? So if from "outside ", one carbon seems to be rotating then if I change my reference frame to the rotating carbon then the other carbon seems to be rotating!
In short, yeah only one carbon rotates.

Your question would become fairly more significant if we were drawing conformers of a compound which had two adjacent chiral carbons, but let's not go there unless you want to ;)
Yeah. My teacher told me the same thing that basically two of them rotates but we consider one of them

1. What is ethane and why is it important to study its conformations?

Ethane is a chemical compound composed of two carbon atoms and six hydrogen atoms. It is a commonly used fuel and is also used in the production of plastics. Studying its conformations, or the different ways its atoms can arrange in space, is important because it can affect its chemical and physical properties, such as its reactivity and boiling point.

2. How does carbon atom rotation occur in ethane?

In ethane, the two carbon atoms are connected by a single bond, allowing them to freely rotate around this bond. This rotation can result in different conformations of the molecule, with the atoms being in different positions relative to each other.

3. What are the different types of ethane conformations?

The most common ethane conformations are the staggered and eclipsed conformations. In staggered conformation, the carbon atoms are positioned at an angle of 60 degrees with respect to each other, whereas in eclipsed conformation, they are directly aligned with each other.

4. How do ethane conformations affect its properties?

The different conformations of ethane can affect its properties in various ways. For example, the energy required to rotate the molecule from one conformation to another can impact its stability and reactivity. Additionally, the different conformations may have different physical properties, such as melting and boiling points.

5. What techniques are used to study ethane conformations?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study ethane conformations, such as spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, and computational methods. These techniques allow researchers to analyze the spatial arrangement of atoms in the molecule and understand how they interact with each other.