1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about image size in plane, concave, or convex mirrors

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    So I know these equations

1/f = 1/p + 1/i
    m = -i/p

f: focal length
    p: object distance from mirror
    i: image distance from mirror
    m: magnification

Let's say that I have an object in front of a concave or convex mirror with the same |f|. p is much larger than the radius of curvature. Based on the equations above, |m|<1. Also, |m| should be nearly same for both mirrors. Does this mean that the images produced by the two mirrors would appear to be about the same size?

Also, if I replace the concave or convex mirror with a plane mirror (while keeping p the same), |m| would be 1 for the image. Does this mean that the image produced by the plane mirror would appear to be larger than the image produced by the concave/convex mirrors?

(I tried to check this using a spoon, but the spoons I have are not very reflective...)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2012 #2
    Yes to all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook