Confused about quantum principles

In summary, excitation and de-excitation refer to changes in energy levels, with excitation increasing and de-excitation decreasing the energy. Ionization, on the other hand, specifically refers to an electron being completely removed from its host atom or a neutral atom picking up an electron. These terms are important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, particularly in relation to their emission and absorption of photons.
rama1001
Can anyone guide me ragarding the difference between excitation, de-excitation and ionization. I just confused with the terms de-excitation and ionization, wether they are same..please guide me..

Physics news on Phys.org
Excitation and de-excitation refers to energy levels. an excited state is a state with more energy than the ground state, which is the lowest energy level. Excitation means the system is moving to a higher energy level, while de-exitation means that the system is moving to a lower energy level.

Ionization is a term unique to atoms, as far as I know, and refers to an electron being completely removed from its previously neutral host atom (or getting excited beyond the inifite-th energy state and into the continuum, if you want). It can also be used about a neutral atom picking up an electron.

Last edited:
With regard to an atom, excitation is an increase in the (quantized) energy of an orbiting electron (typically via collision or absorption of a photon). It may then undergo de-excitation (emitting a photon, or via collision giving up that energy to kinetic energy of the whole atom or of another particle.)

In the extreme case an excitation may "kick" the orbiting electron beyond the "escape energy" so it is no longer bound to the atom. This is ionization, splitting the atom into a free electron and free ion.

rama1001 said:
Can anyone guide me ragarding the difference between excitation, de-excitation and ionization. I just confused with the terms de-excitation and ionization, wether they are same..please guide me..

In terms of the spectrum, excitation means raising the energy to a higher discrete level, de-excitation lowering it ti a lower discrete value, ionization means raising it into the continuous spectrum (which means the particle escapes the potential it is in), and capture the transition from the continuous spectrum to a discrete level. Typically, the potential is the effective potential of an atom or molecule without the particle in question.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles such as electrons and photons behave, as well as how they interact with each other and their surrounding environment.

2. What are the key principles of quantum mechanics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles explain the probabilistic behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level.

3. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in several ways. Classical mechanics describes the behavior of larger objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic level. Additionally, classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature.

4. What is the significance of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has significant implications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and technology. It has allowed for the development of technologies such as transistors and lasers, and has also provided a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?

Some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics include the idea that it only applies to the microscopic world, that it violates the laws of classical physics, and that it can explain all phenomena. In reality, quantum mechanics is a complex and evolving field that continues to challenge our understanding of the universe.