Confused about some aspects of GR

In summary, GRand is a complex topic that can be confusing for many people. It involves a number of different aspects, including theoretical concepts and mathematical calculations. Some common points of confusion include the concept of spacetime, the role of gravity, and the effects of matter on the fabric of space. It is important to approach GRand with an open mind and a willingness to learn, as it is a key theory in understanding the nature of the universe.
John Stanly
Hey all,

GR has just been explained to me in a lecture and I'm a little confused about a few things. I've been running through a few scenarios in my head and I don't see how they can occur without a paradox.

One scenario is if you have two spaceships traveling parallel to each other at relativistic speeds in opposite directions a large distance away from one another, both with light clocks visible to the other. From my understanding, if one spaceship views the other spaceship's light clock it will see fewer ticks than on their own light clock. But if the other spaceship was doing the same thing they too would notice the other spaceship going slower.

For arguments sake, let's say that both spaceships believe that for every 10 ticks of the other spaceship's clock, their clock ticks 20 times. To me, this fits all of the constraints of GR, but it doesn't make sense to me then how both spaceships could be going slower than the other.

Could someone just clarify this for me?

Thanks,
John

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make sense to most people. At least, not at first. But that is how we observe nature to operate. In the end nature is under no mandate to make sense to us, as disturbing as that may be.

Is there an aspect of GR, such as relativity of simultaneity etc., that explains these observations well?

Not really, except the first (second?) postulate of relativity: all inertial frames are equally valid. If you try to understand the mathematics (which really only needs high school algebra but won't feel complete without a thorough treatment with calculus/basic linear algebra) you'll see a proof that this happens.

The problem is that even though relativity makes complete sense, it goes against the (incorrect) laws by which our common sense perceives to be true, the only real way to truly feel comfortable with GR/SR is to either change your common sense completely (if that is possible) or understand the mathematics and be comfortable with your knowledge that mathematical truth is truth.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that the math always works out so that if the two spaceships ever meet, either the same amount of time will have passed between the two or both will agree that one ship experienced more time than the other. It's only in these cases when you are observing two objects that are separated in space (what card-carrying physicists call a space-like separation) that seeming paradoxes can occur.

John Stanly said:
Hey all,

GR has just been explained to me in a lecture and I'm a little confused about a few things. [..]
One scenario is if you have two spaceships traveling parallel to each other at relativistic speeds in opposite directions a large distance away from one another, both with light clocks visible to the other. From my understanding, if one spaceship views the other spaceship's light clock it will see fewer ticks than on their own light clock. But if the other spaceship was doing the same thing they too would notice the other spaceship going slower.

For arguments sake, let's say that both spaceships believe that for every 10 ticks of the other spaceship's clock, their clock ticks 20 times. To me, this fits all of the constraints of GR, but it doesn't make sense to me then how both spaceships could be going slower than the other.

Could someone just clarify this for me?

Thanks,
John
Hi John,
Welcome to physicsforums! :smile:

First of all, you don't need GR for that; SR suffices - that simplifies matters a lot.

Second, the basic thing to understand is the very first item that is discussed in Einstein's first main paper on this topic: the spaceships interpret distant time differently and even set distant clocks differently.

[EDIT: I now see that you set up your particular example such that at first sight this doesn't matter - thus I expand on my last remark, see further after the small print].

You can read it here:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/

The introduction is useful, especially section I.1: Definition of Simultaneity.
As a consequence, different "frames" disagree about distant simultaneity, and this definition affects their time dilation calculations. See also:
http://www.bartleby.com/173/9.html

It would be a self contradiction if "both spaceship [clocks] could be going slower than the other" (I suppose that you didn't mean both spaceships! :wink:).

Better: "The clocks of the other spaceship appear to go slower than your own clocks".

For most people that clarifies matters, but in a parallel thread it is remarked that also that shorthand description can lead to misunderstanding. So here also a much longer, hopefully fully correct phrasing (due to its length possibly difficult to grasp and impractical for normal discussions):

"If you set up a standard inertial reference system in which your spaceship is at rest, then according to that system the clocks that are in rest in the other spaceship tick slower than the clocks that are at rest in your spaceship".

Now, in your example the Doppler effect and directionality play a main role.
Your "if you have two spaceships traveling parallel to each" is likely much more ambiguous than you thought. For if you assume that you are in rest, then the light that you receive at a straight angle from the other ship is supposed to have propagated at a straight angle. However, if you assume that you are moving (the other ship's perspective), then those same light rays are supposed to have propagated under an angle (aberration), and thus you should add a Doppler effect to your reconstruction of what happened according to that perspective.

Last edited:
Vorde said:
[..]
The problem is that even though relativity makes complete sense, it goes against the (incorrect) laws by which our common sense perceives to be true, the only real way to truly feel comfortable with GR/SR is to either change your common sense completely (if that is possible) or understand the mathematics and be comfortable with your knowledge that mathematical truth is truth.[..]
Not in my experience. :smile: At least for SR (and the little that I know of GR), a good way to feel truly comfortable with SR/GR for me was to adapt my common sense to the mathematics (but regretfully, this has not been possible with QM...).

John Stanly said:
GR has just been explained to me in a lecture and I'm a little confused about a few things. I've been running through a few scenarios in my head and I don't see how they can occur without a paradox.

When we say that A "views" B's clock as slow, what we really mean is that the coordinate system that we (by convention) associate with A's motion, assigns time coordinates to events on B's world line that increase faster than the numbers displayed by B's clock.

Similarly, when we say that B "views" A's clock as slow, we mean that the coordinate system that we (by the same convention) associate with B's motion, assigns time coordinates to events on A's world line that increase faster than the numbers displayed by A's clock.

This is why the two statements can't be immediately dismissed as a contradiction. They are statements about assignments made by two different coordinate systems.

By the way, GR is mainly about the relationship between the metric of spacetime and the matter content of spacetime. The issue you're asking about is as much an issue in Minkowski spacetime (the spacetime of SR) as in any other, so there's no reason to consider any other spacetime here. This is a typical SR problem.

1. What is General Relativity (GR)?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein. It describes how massive objects interact with each other and with space-time, which is the fabric of the universe. It is considered one of the most successful theories in physics and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.

2. How is General Relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity is based on the concept of a force acting between two objects with mass. In contrast, General Relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. This means that objects with mass do not actually attract each other, but rather they follow the curvature of space-time created by the mass.

3. What are some practical applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, which relies on the precise measurement of time dilation predicted by the theory. It also helps explain the behavior of objects in the universe, such as black holes and the bending of light by massive objects.

4. What are some common misconceptions about General Relativity?

One common misconception is that General Relativity only applies to large, massive objects. In reality, the theory applies to all objects and is necessary for understanding the behavior of the universe at both large and small scales. Another misconception is that the theory has been proven wrong by recent discoveries, such as dark matter and dark energy. In fact, General Relativity is still the best theory we have for explaining these phenomena.

5. What are some open questions and areas of research in General Relativity?

While General Relativity has been incredibly successful, there are still areas that remain unexplained. Some open questions include the nature of black holes and the possibility of a unified theory that combines General Relativity with quantum mechanics. Researchers are also investigating the effects of gravity on the quantum scale and the role of space-time in the early universe.