Confused about voltage & current -- Please check my understanding

In summary, current is the flow of electrical charge measured in coulombs, with one coulomb being equivalent to 6·2 x 1018 electrons. Voltage is the amount of energy per coulomb, or the potential to deliver energy, given to the coulombs by a battery or power-station. Voltage is necessary for current to flow, but current can still exist without voltage. The delivery of voltage only occurs when the circuit is complete and electrons are flowing. The potential difference across a wire is the same as the voltage across the wire, and is measured by a voltmeter. The Feynman lectures are a good resource for understanding these concepts in depth.
Barclay
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hello, This is not a homework but I’m confused about current and voltage. My understanding is fragile and I need to reinforce it with your help. Below I’ve written what I think I know to be correct. Please correct me where required. This is high school physics.(i) Current is the rate of flow of electrical charge. Charge is measured in coulombs.(ii) One coulomb of charge is a collection of 6·2 x 1018 electrons. So current is the rate of flow of coulombs.(iii) The number of coulombs flowing per second is the current. Current is measure in amperes.

(iv) Voltage is the number of joules of energy the coulomb has (collection of 6·2 x 1018 electrons) OR the number of joules of energy the coulomb has is the voltage. [I had to say this both ways because I need to reinforce it in my brain].(v) Voltage (joules of energy per coulomb) (or push) is given to the coulombs (collection of 6·2 x 1018 electrons) by the battery or power-station.
(vi) To use an analogy of a river here: If the battery is on a steep incline it can provide lots of voltage (joules of energy per coulomb) (or push due to gravity) to the coulombs (cups of water). The number of coulombs (cups of water) per second flowing down the hill is the current of the river.(vii) You cannot have current without voltage BUT you can have voltage without current because voltage is the just the potential to deliver joules of energy per coulomb (voltage)?(viii) Delivery of the voltage (joules of energy per coulomb) only happens when the circuit is complete and the electrons are flowing (current).(ix) If a wire has a voltage or potential difference of 100V. This means that the wire is connected to a battery, that has the potential to give 100 V of voltage (joules of energy per coulomb) (or push) to the electrons in the wire? BUT this only happens when the circuit is complete (+ve terminal is connected to the –ve terminal of the wire).(x) If a battery in a circuit has potential to supply of 100 V, is connected to a wire of low resistance then the current will be high because V/R = I. The high current will make the wire hot. A low current would result in less energy loss through heat.(xi) When we talk of the potential difference across a wire, this is the same a voltage across the wire. This will depend on the power supply to which the wire is connected. The voltmeter is measuring the joules of energy per coulomb (volt) between two points.Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems about right! :)

I don't know what you're wanting to do (are you an engineer, is this a hobby, etc.?) but another good resource is the Feynman lectures Vol II - http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_01.html

You can't really dip in and out of them - it's probably best to make time to sit down and read a chapter (there are quite a lot of diversions and side routes.) But in terms of making tangible analogies to the concepts, they're excellent.

What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage is the measure of potential energy between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts and represents the force that pushes the electric charge through the circuit. Current, on the other hand, is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes and represents the rate at which the charge moves through the circuit.

How are voltage and current related?

Voltage and current are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and a decrease in voltage will result in a decrease in current. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance.

What is the role of resistance in voltage and current?

Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms and is represented by the symbol "R". The higher the resistance, the lower the current will be for a given voltage. This is because the resistance limits the flow of current in a circuit.

How does voltage and current affect the functioning of electronic devices?

Electronic devices require a specific voltage and current to function properly. If the voltage is too low, the device may not have enough energy to operate, and if the voltage is too high, it can damage the device. Similarly, if the current is too low, the device may not receive enough power, and if the current is too high, it can overheat and cause damage.

What is the unit of measurement for voltage and current?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), while current is measured in amperes (A). In some cases, millivolts (mV) and milliamperes (mA) may be used for smaller measurements. These units are often represented by the letters "V" and "A" on electronic devices.