1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused Career

1. Nov 24, 2004 #1
    I'm a high school senior who is interested in engineering. I am taking Calculus and honors physics and earn solid grades.

I am helpless :confused: when it comes to my future though. I have no idea what field to go into. I hear Electrical engineering has a good outlook but I have no idea about electrical stuff or what kind of jobs are out there.

If anyone out there is an EE and can tell me the kinds of things they do in a typical day, and whether they enjoy their job, I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2004 #2
    Although I'm a Physicist by education, I'm working as a design engineer. My main job is to design electronic circuits including DSPs, FPGAs, microcontrollers and multilayer pcbs. Also, sometimes I have to program microcontrollers and FPGAs. Physics helps me in solving electromagnetic portion of electronics, such as transformers. I really enjoy my work.
  4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    Interested in becoming an engineer? There are many more choices than you have heard. Visit ieee.org to learn more, they have a students section for curious people like you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?