Confused with circuit that has two opposing emf

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI used the P=VI formula to calculate the total power generated by G which is 40W, and the answer turns out to be correct. But actually, I don't quite understand this topic of opposing emf. Like, why I can't I use the formula of P= V2/R instead? Why can't I get the same answer?Different components in the loop have different behaviour as to power consumption.
toforfiltum said:
Haha, this is out of my depth.I don't get the out of phase thing:smile: Guess I'm not there yet. Physics is hard to understand intuitively..

yes, don't worry about that; it was just an example to say that you can add up "things" of non-zero "size" and get a zero answer so long as the "direction" of the things are different.
Just make the circuit as simple as possible - I think the way of removing all sources except one is an easy way to see what each source is contributing to the total.

Likes toforfiltum
<h2>1. What is an opposing emf in a circuit?</h2><p>An opposing emf, or electromotive force, is a voltage that is generated in a circuit in the opposite direction of the applied voltage. This can occur when there are multiple sources of emf in a circuit, causing a counteracting effect.</p><h2>2. How does an opposing emf affect the circuit?</h2><p>An opposing emf can reduce the overall voltage in a circuit, leading to a decrease in current flow. This can also cause a decrease in the power output of the circuit.</p><h2>3. How can I identify if a circuit has two opposing emf?</h2><p>If there are multiple sources of emf in a circuit, it is possible that there may be opposing emf present. You can also look for signs of decreased voltage or current in the circuit, which may indicate the presence of opposing emf.</p><h2>4. Can opposing emf be beneficial in a circuit?</h2><p>In some cases, opposing emf can be beneficial as it can help regulate the flow of current in a circuit. This can be useful in certain applications, such as in electric motors.</p><h2>5. How can I mitigate the effects of opposing emf in a circuit?</h2><p>To reduce the effects of opposing emf, you can use components such as diodes or capacitors to help regulate the voltage and current in the circuit. Additionally, proper circuit design and layout can also help minimize the impact of opposing emf.</p>

1. What is an opposing emf in a circuit?

An opposing emf, or electromotive force, is a voltage that is generated in a circuit in the opposite direction of the applied voltage. This can occur when there are multiple sources of emf in a circuit, causing a counteracting effect.

2. How does an opposing emf affect the circuit?

An opposing emf can reduce the overall voltage in a circuit, leading to a decrease in current flow. This can also cause a decrease in the power output of the circuit.

3. How can I identify if a circuit has two opposing emf?

If there are multiple sources of emf in a circuit, it is possible that there may be opposing emf present. You can also look for signs of decreased voltage or current in the circuit, which may indicate the presence of opposing emf.

4. Can opposing emf be beneficial in a circuit?

In some cases, opposing emf can be beneficial as it can help regulate the flow of current in a circuit. This can be useful in certain applications, such as in electric motors.

5. How can I mitigate the effects of opposing emf in a circuit?

To reduce the effects of opposing emf, you can use components such as diodes or capacitors to help regulate the voltage and current in the circuit. Additionally, proper circuit design and layout can also help minimize the impact of opposing emf.