Confused with the answer<> seems correct buttht's wrong wrong?

• Thread starter vkash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, when solving the equation sqrt(x+1)-sqrt(x-1)=sqrt(4x-1), we can square both sides to get x=5/4, but this solution does not satisfy the original equation. This is because squaring an equation can introduce extra solutions.
vkash
confused with the answer<> seems correct buttht's wrong wrong??

question is
find solution
sqrt(x+1)-sqrt(x-1)=sqrt(4x-1)
sqrt(x+1)-sqrt(x-1)=sqrt(4x-1) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (1)
squaring both sides
(x+1)+(x-1)-2*sqrt(x2-1)=4x-1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (2)
solving and rearranging
1-2x=2*sqrt(x2-1) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -(3)
once again squaring both sides;
1-4x= -4
x=5/4;
But it does not satisfy the first equation.
it also doesn't satisfying equation number three, Is it reason for this?
If yes then why it is so?>?>?>?>?>?>(this is my question)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Are you sure that your solution doesn't satisfy those equations? When you take the square root of a number, how many solutions do you get?

You seem to have started with an equation that doesn't have any real solutions. Let's consider a simpler problem: Find all real numbers x such that ##\sqrt x =-1##. If you square both sides, you get x=1. But x=1 doesn't satisfy the original equation, since ##\sqrt 1=1\neq -1##.

By squaring both sides, we only proved that if ##\sqrt x=-1##, then ##x=1##. This is an implication, not an equivalence, since x=1 doesn't imply ##\sqrt x=-1##. So we can't conclude that x=1. We can only conclude that there are no solutions with x≠1.

jamesrc said:
Are you sure that your solution doesn't satisfy those equations? When you take the square root of a number, how many solutions do you get?
I'm not sure where you're going with this question.

When you take the square root of a number, you get one value. Were you going to suggest that there are two?

vkash said:
question is

sqrt(x+1)-sqrt(x-1)=sqrt(4x-1) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (1)
squaring both sides
(x+1)+(x-1)-2*sqrt(x2-1)=4x-1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (2)
solving and rearranging
1-2x=2*sqrt(x2-1) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -(3)
once again squaring both sides;
1-4x= -4
x=5/4;
But it does not satisfy the first equation.
it also doesn't satisfying equation number three, Is it reason for this?
If yes then why it is so?>?>?>?>?>?>(this is my question)
Equation (3) lhs = -3/2, rhs = 3/2, so the squares are =, which is the source of your problem.

thanks to all of you;
i have got the point of error.
squaring add some extra answers to our solutions...

What do I do if the answer seems correct but turns out to be wrong?

If you are confused with an answer that you thought was correct but turned out to be wrong, it is important to double-check your work and make sure you understand the problem fully. Look for any errors or mistakes that you may have made and try to correct them. If you are still unsure, ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

Why am I getting the wrong answer if I followed all the steps correctly?

Sometimes, even if you follow all the steps correctly, you may still get the wrong answer. This could be due to a simple calculation error or misunderstanding the question. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. If you are still getting the wrong answer, try approaching the problem from a different angle or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

What should I do if I am consistently getting the wrong answer?

If you find that you are consistently getting the wrong answer, it may be helpful to review the concepts and techniques used in solving the problem. Make sure you understand the steps and reasoning behind each step. It may also be beneficial to practice similar problems to strengthen your understanding.

How can I avoid getting confused with the answer?

To avoid getting confused with the answer, it is important to fully understand the problem and the concepts involved. Make sure to read the question carefully and identify what is being asked. It may also be helpful to check your work and calculations multiple times to catch any errors.

What are some tips for avoiding confusion with answers?

Some tips for avoiding confusion with answers include: carefully reading the question, understanding the concepts and steps involved, checking your work multiple times, and seeking help if needed. It can also be helpful to practice problems and seek additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.