Calculating Pressure for Stacked Books on Glass Coffee Table

In summary, the student is concerned about the pressure their glass coffee table can withstand when stacking books on it. They have the mass, length, width, and height of the books and need to calculate the pressure (N/m2) that the table must be able to withstand. After realizing that pressure = force / area, they were able to calculate the answer with the information given.
SamTsui86
1. [1pt]

A student has a glass coffee table in their dorm room that they want to stack some of their books on. However they are a little worried about how much pressure the table can withstand at anyone point.

If the pile of books has a mass of 11.20 kg, a length of 27.94 cm, a width of 20.32 cm, and
a height of 30.12 cm, how much pressure (N/m2) must the table be able to withstand at any place
where the books are placed ?

Enter a numerical answer only, do not enter units.

This question is confusing, I know that Pressure = force / area. I don't think a formula that can relate the variables above with formula. Plz help

Physics news on Phys.org
You are able to calculate area, and you know the mass. Since the force of the books will be the result of gravity, you have all the information needed to answer this question.

oh I see, i got the answer, thank you. I got confuse because i thought i have to use height too

1. What is a "confusing pressure problem"?

A "confusing pressure problem" is a term often used to describe a situation where there are multiple factors that can affect pressure and it is difficult to determine the exact cause of a pressure change.

2. How do you solve a confusing pressure problem?

Solving a confusing pressure problem requires careful analysis of all the factors that could be influencing pressure. This may include considering the properties of the fluid, the container, and any external forces acting on the system. It may also involve using equations, experiments, or simulations to determine the most likely cause of the pressure change.

3. What are some common causes of confusing pressure problems?

Common causes of confusing pressure problems include changes in temperature, variations in the volume or density of the fluid, and the presence of external forces such as gravity or friction. Human error, faulty equipment, and unpredictable events can also contribute to confusing pressure problems.

4. How can confusing pressure problems impact scientific experiments or industrial processes?

Confusing pressure problems can have a significant impact on the accuracy and reliability of scientific experiments or industrial processes. Incorrect pressure readings can lead to incorrect conclusions, wasted resources, and potential safety hazards. It is important to carefully identify and address any confusing pressure problems in order to ensure the validity and success of experiments and processes.

5. What can be done to prevent or minimize confusing pressure problems?

To prevent or minimize confusing pressure problems, it is important to carefully design experiments and processes, taking into account all potential factors that could affect pressure. It is also crucial to use high-quality equipment, regularly calibrate instruments, and double-check measurements. In addition, having a thorough understanding of the principles of pressure and how it can be affected by various factors can help scientists and engineers anticipate and mitigate potential confusing pressure problems.