1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing regarding Kinematic Equations

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    "A 93kg water skier floating in a lake is pulled from rest to a speed of 13 m/s in a distance of 20m. What is the net force exerted on the skier, assuming his velocity is constant.

So I know I have to find the force I'm going to need acceleration, and to find it I'll need to use a kinematic equation. So this is where the confusion comes in.

The correct way to do it is v^2= U^2 + 2ad, and isolate the a. The answer to this would be 4.22 m/s^2. Then we can find the force by plugging it in, f=(4.22)(93)= 392 Newtons

But why couldn't I use this kinematic equation and solve for a?

x=x0 + v0t + 1/2(a)t^2)
    20=0+0+1/2(a)(16)
    20=8a
    20/8 = a

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I think all the different letters and their meanings are getting a little confusing.

Or this one, acceleration = delta V / Delta T, couldn't you just do 13-0 / 4-0? so its 13/4?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2
    where'd you get the four seconds from?

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3
    Mmm, I think I accidentally put 4 seconds because I was reading something else. V= D/T, = T=D/V which is .65 seconds. But even then I couldn't solve for the equation in the other kinematic equation. Am I totally plugging in the wrong numbers into the x= Vsub0T + Xsub0 + 1/2(a)(t^2)?

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4
    well, v = d/t only if the velocity is constant, and in this case the velocity is not constant, the guy is under a constant acceleration

so basically, you want to take what information you know, and pick the equation that works best with that stuff

the x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2 equation doesn't work for this given set of values because we don't have the time

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook