Confusing Vector Questions: How Do I Solve Them?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the perpendicular component of a vector using an orthogonal projection. The person is trying to figure out the best method to show this relationship and is considering using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. They also discuss the notation used for the scalar and vector projections.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I have am having a problem with the questions below.
upload_2017-4-24_19-0-22.png

what do they mean by show ## B_{perp}=B sin\theta ## I mean I know it a silly question, and my first thought is just use socahtoa, or am I missing something. The question from there on is straight forward enough,. I just have a feeling I am missing something or am I over thinking it completely?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
my first thought is just use socahtoa, or am I missing something.
I think that's all there is to it.

Do you have another way to calculate B? If so, you should show that it gives the same answer.

FactChecker said:
Do you have another way to calculate B? If so, you should show that it gives the same answer.
I was thinking of showing it with an orthogonal projection, would this be correct?

Taylor_1989 said:
I was thinking of showing it with an orthogonal projection, would this be correct?

Try it out, to see whether it works.

Taylor_1989 said:
The exercise does say that the first step is to decompose B into the projection on A and the rejection (orthogonal projection) on A.

first thanks for the responses I have used the orthogonal projection, ]which I feel is the best way to show this relationship.

Hi guys, my perivous comment is bogus ^^^ I have been looking ove this question again and I now fully confusing myself. The way I thought I could show it which is I think i worng now is that I could say that:

##|| Proj_ba+ \perp Proj_ba=b##

By rearanging this in to: ##|| b-Proj_ba= \perp Proj_ba## I would be able to show what they wanted, when I did it before for some reason I thought that ##|b|(1-cos\theta)=|b| sin \theta## I have no idea why throught this at the time but I know this to be wrong. Can someone please give some advice on that matter thank you in advance.

I'm not sure about your notation, but it is true that a||b + a⊥b = a, where a||b is the projection of vector a onto b and a⊥b is the vector rejection of a on b. So if you can calculate a||b, then you can use that to calculate a⊥b and prove what the exercise asked for.

That what I oringinally throught but how could you, I can't seem to figure how to. I mean I know how the projection vector, ##a_||b## using dot product but how I convert to sine is what confusing me at the moment. Erm am I on the right lines with this:##|a_{||b}+a_{\perp b}|=|a|## ##\rightarrow## ##|a_{||b}|+|a_{\perp b}|=|a|##,

If this correct the ##a_{||b}##=##|a|cos\theta##, but taking the mod of this is where it get confusing, what is the mod of this?

Taylor_1989 said:
That what I oringinally throught but how could you, I can't seem to figure how to. I mean I know how the projection vector, ##a_||b## using dot product but how I convert to sine is what confusing me at the moment.
If you can calculate cos(θ) then you can get θ and then sin(θ).
Erm am I on the right lines with this:##|a_{||b}+a_{\perp b}|=|a|## ##\rightarrow## ##|a_{||b}|+|a_{\perp b}|=|a|##,
No. Use the Pythagorean theorem instead. a||b and a⊥b are at right angles.
If this correct the ##a_{||b}##=##|a|cos\theta##, but taking the mod of this is where it get confusing, what is the mod of this?
It is not true. The mod is already there. |a||b| = |a|cos(θ).

Im sorry, but I am now more confuse to how ##arccos(\frac{|a_{||b}|}{|a|})## to get the desired result. I really not seeing somthing here.

I know this not the way you are saying but can you use the face that ##tan x= sinx/cosx ## & ##cosx=a_{||b}/|a|##?So now I am thinking this, when you said pythagours

##(1) |B_{||}|^2+|B_{\perp}|^2=|B|^2##& ##(2) B_{||}=Bcos\theta##

sub 1 into to 2 and rearrange for ##|B_{\perp}|^2##

I then get: ##B{\perp}=\sqrt(|B|^2)\sqrt(1-cos\theta^2)##

Last edited:
Taylor_1989 said:
Im sorry, but I am now more confuse to how ##arccos(\frac{|a_{||b}|}{|a|})## to get the desired result. I really not seeing somthing here.
θ = arccos( |a||b| / |a| )
I know this not the way you are saying but can you use the face that ##tan x= sinx/cosx ## & ##cosx=a_{||b}/|a|##?
a||b is a vector. If you used |a||b| that would be correct, but sort of a more complicated way to do things. The goal is to find θ, which would be the same as x. So it is simpler to just use θ = arccos( |a||b| / |a| )
So now I am thinking this, when you said pythagours

##(1) |B_{||}|^2+|B_{\perp}|^2=|B|^2##
yes. They form a right triangle.
& ##(2) B_{||}=Bcos\theta##
no. Look at figure 3 in post #1. B|| and B are vectors that point in different directions. B|| points in the direction of A. That's why I think the notation B||A is better than B||. Likewise BA is better notation than B. That notation would help you keep track of what vector they are parallel or perpendicular to (which is A).
sub 1 into to 2 and rearrange for ##|B_{\perp}|^2## I I have assumed that ##B_{||}## & ##B_{\perp}## are scalr projection of ##A_B## and not vector projections
They are the vectors shown in figure 3 of post #1.

Ok I am still a bit hazy. So the method i described is incorrect? Ok i cn see that B has been projected on to A, so the sclar projection is ##B_{|| A}=|B|cos\theta## so that why I throught I could use that in pythagours as the sclar projection would be the length so then i could you that with the length of the vect ##B## to show the result.

Taylor_1989 said:
Ok I am still a bit hazy. So the method i described is incorrect? Ok i cn see that B has been projected on to A, so the sclar projection is ##B_{|| A}=|B|cos\theta## .
I'm still not sure that we are talking about the same thing. ##B_{|| A}## is a vector and ##|B|cos\theta## is not. So they are not equal. The scalar projection of B onto A is | ##B_{|| A}## | =##|B|cos\theta##. The modulus symbols are necessary. Please don't omit them.

First I apologise for my poor latex and also thank you being patient with me. I have finally figure out the problem. Thank you for your help it was much apprecited.

Related to Confusing Vector Questions: How Do I Solve Them?

What is vector question confusion?

Vector question confusion refers to a common issue in scientific research where there is confusion about the use of vectors in mathematical equations and data analysis. It can occur when there is a lack of understanding of vector notation or when vectors are incorrectly defined or used in calculations.

Why is vector question confusion important to address?

Vector question confusion can lead to incorrect results in scientific experiments and data analysis, which can affect the overall accuracy and validity of research. It is important to address and clarify vector-related concepts to ensure accurate and reliable results.

What are some common examples of vector question confusion?

Some common examples include confusing vector notation (such as using parentheses instead of brackets), incorrectly defining vector quantities (such as mixing up position and displacement), and using incorrect vector operations (such as adding instead of subtracting vectors).

How can vector question confusion be avoided?

To avoid vector question confusion, it is important to have a clear understanding of vector notation and definitions. Double-checking equations and calculations involving vectors can also help catch any potential errors. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or reference a reliable source for clarification.

What are some resources for learning more about vectors and avoiding vector question confusion?

There are many online resources available for learning more about vectors, including tutorials, videos, and practice problems. Some recommended sources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and textbooks on mathematical methods or physics. It can also be helpful to consult with a math or physics teacher or tutor for personalized guidance.