Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion About Light

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    My physics textbook said waves can exist in the same place at the same time. If that's true, then can light, which is a wave/particle, exist at the same place at the same time with another wave/particle of light? I'm assuming the idea holds true for electromagnetic waves.

For some background, I'm a high school student and I'm currently failing physics. But I understand the concepts of physics (it's the mathematics that gets me) probably more than anyone else in the class. :)

And this isn't a question necessary for my grade, I just thought of it but didn't think about asking the teacher.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2
    Yes. Two light waves can occupy the same space at the same time.

Quantum mechanically, photons belong to the class of particles known as bosons. Bosons are particles which tend toward the same state (the product of spin, position, and other quantum properties) as opposed to fermions such as electrons which never exist in the same state.

As electromagnetic waves, you get similar results. Disturbances in the electric and magnetic fields add together in a linear way. When the waves intersect one another, they form a more complicated wave until they pass each other, and reappear in their original forms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook