Confusion about pressure drops and pressure regulators

In summary, the smaller the diameter of the fuel line, the greater the potential for a pressure drop, which can cause problems with the accuracy of the injection. However, if there is a pressure regulator, it is necessary to ensure that the pressure is high enough to activate it.
darthapple35
When designing the fuel plumbing for an efi system, do pressure drops in the fuel lines need to be considered when there is a pressure regulator? If so why? Been reading up a lot on plumbing design lately about how the goal is to minimize restrictions in the lines which ultimately cause pressure drop and play a large part in what size fuel line to use. I've read that the smaller diameter the line is, the greater the pressure drop will be. But if there is a pressure regulator, why does considerations about pressure drops and line sizes matter? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean that smaller diameter increase the pressure drop? I think to increase the pressure (reducing pressure drop) a reducer is needed, in other words using smaller design is better.
For your question, in my opinion, regulator is used to overcome the pressure drop and to increase the flow of fluid.
Sorry if my grammar is bad.

darthapple35 said:
if there is a pressure regulator, why does considerations about pressure drops and line sizes matter? Thanks

Many simple regulators can only reduce the pressure not boost it. So they need a supply pressure that is higher than the target output pressure. If the pipes between pump and regulator are too small or there are restrictions in it then the pressure going into the regulator might be too low.

CWatters said:
Many simple regulators can only reduce the pressure not boost it. So they need a supply pressure that is higher than the target output pressure. If the pipes between pump and regulator are too small or there are restrictions in it then the pressure going into the regulator might be too low.
So let me see if i can now explain how the fuel system works now with the pressure regulator mounted at the end/after the fuel rail. Fuel is pumped out of the pump at a certain pressure through the fuel lines and up into the fuel rail all the way to the pressure regulator. The fuel in the rail is above the desired pressure for it to be delivered to the injectors so the pressure regulator will reduce it to the desired pressure for the injectors which will result in excess fuel being returned to the tank through the outlet of the pressure regulator. Thats why the fuel wants to be delivered to the fuel rail and regulator above the desired pressure so the regulator can precisely lower it and give the injectors an accurate amount of fuel. If the fuel pressure in the rail and up to the regulator is below the desired pressure for the injectors, the injectors will not accurately get the correct amount of fuel and no fuel will be returned to the tank. Which is why a powerful enough pump is needed along with keeping pressure drops in the plumbing system to a minimum is necessary to make sure the pressure is high enough to activate the regulator so it can accurately lower it for the injectors. If the pressure is not high enough when delivered to the rail, the engine will run lean. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Actually there might still be some fuel returning to the tank. It depends if the pressure regulator can fully shut off in its attempt to keep the pressure up.

Related to Confusion about pressure drops and pressure regulators

1. What is a pressure drop?

A pressure drop refers to a decrease in pressure as a fluid (liquid or gas) flows through a system or device. This can occur due to friction, changes in elevation, or obstacles in the flow path.

2. What is the difference between a pressure drop and a pressure regulator?

A pressure regulator is a device that is used to control and maintain a specific pressure level in a system. It works by adjusting the flow of fluid to compensate for changes in pressure. A pressure drop, on the other hand, is simply a decrease in pressure that occurs naturally as fluid flows through a system.

3. How do pressure drops affect the performance of a system?

Pressure drops can have a significant impact on the performance of a system. If the pressure drop is too high, it can cause a decrease in flow rate and reduce the efficiency of the system. This can also lead to problems such as cavitation, where the pressure drops below the vapor pressure of the fluid, causing bubbles to form and potentially damaging equipment.

4. Can pressure regulators eliminate pressure drops?

While pressure regulators can help to minimize pressure drops, they cannot completely eliminate them. Some amount of pressure drop is necessary for fluid to flow through a system. However, a well-designed pressure regulator can help to maintain a consistent pressure throughout the system and reduce the impact of pressure drops.

5. How do I choose the right pressure regulator for my application?

When selecting a pressure regulator, it is important to consider factors such as the required pressure range, flow rate, and type of fluid being used. It is also important to ensure that the pressure regulator is compatible with the rest of the system and properly sized for the intended application. Consulting with a knowledgeable engineer or supplier can also help in choosing the right pressure regulator for a specific application.