Confusion over Brownian sample paths

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, according to the author, a Brownian sample path in three dimensions has H. dimension 2, but if you take the intersection of the path with any two-dimensional manifold, you get a figure with Hausdorff dimension zero. However, I have my doubts about my interpretation and would be glad to be corrected.
nomadreid
Gold Member
This question is in this rubric because I figured it belonged to measure theory, but I am ready to move it if I am wrong.

In reading "Fractal Geometry" by Falconer, I see (Thm. 16.2 and comment following its proof) that the Hausdorff dimension of a Brownian sample path (a continuous function from the unit interval to R2 such that for all h>0 every h-interval is normally distributed with mean 0 and variance h) is 2 but its 2-dimensional Hausdorff dimension is 0. Combined with the idea (also given in Falconer) that a Hausdorff dimension of s, with r<s<t, is that point where the r-dimension is infinite and the t-dimension is zero, I end up with a shaky understanding as follows: in three dimensions, the two-dimensional Brownian sample path has H. dimension 2, but if you take the intersection of the path with any two-dimensional manifold, you get a figure with Hausdorff dimension zero. But I have my doubts about my interpretation, and would be glad to be corrected.

While I am at it, if a two-dimensional Brownian sample path has Hausdorff dimension two, then since Hausdorff and Hamel dimensions are supposed to overlap for integral values, the 2-dim. Brownian path should have also Hamel dimension 2 as well, no?

An object of dimension 2 should have a 2-dimensional area. But can you find the area of a 2-dim. Brownian sample path (when it is viewed in at least three dimensions)?

(An alternative source that seems to shed some light but which I did not fully understand is: http://stat-www.berkeley.edu/~peres/bmall.pdf)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Likes 1 person
Perhaps it will help if I rephrase my question a bit better.
First let me define a Brownian sample path: strictly, a mapping from t to X(ω,t) for every point ω in the sample space, such that
(io) with probability 1, X(0) =0; also X(t) is a continuous function of t
(ii)for any t≥0 and h > 0, the increment X(t+h)-X(t) is normally distributed with mean 0 and variance h; that is, there is a probability function P such that
P(X(t+h)-X(t)) = (2πh)-1/2-∞exp(-u2/2h)du
[From these two conditions one can also deduce that if 0≤t1 ≤t2≤t3...≤t2m, the increments X(tn+1) -X(tn) are independent for 1≤n≤2m-1.]

Alternatively one can take a concrete example, where X[0,1] →R, define X(k*2-j) for 0≤k≤2j by induction on j :
set X(0) = 0 and X(1) at random from a normal distribution with mean 0 and variance 1; Next select X(1/2) from a normal distribution with mean ((X(0)+X(1)) and variance 1/2, and then at the next step X(1/4) and X(3/4) are chosen, and so forth.

Then we get the result :
With probability 1, a Brownian sample path in Rn for n≥2 has Hausdorff and box dimensions each equal to 2.

So, to restate my basic question: For integers, Hamel dimension and Hausdorff dimension are supposed to overlap. Looking at this curve, however, I have difficulty figuring out how it could have Hamel dimension 2.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion, also known as Brownian movement, is the random movement of microscopic particles in a fluid or gas due to the collisions with surrounding molecules. It was first observed by botanist Robert Brown in 1827 and later explained by physicist Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. What are Brownian sample paths?

Brownian sample paths refer to the individual trajectories of particles undergoing Brownian motion. These paths are unpredictable and random, as they are influenced by the constantly changing collisions with other particles in the fluid or gas.

3. Why is there confusion over Brownian sample paths?

The confusion over Brownian sample paths arises because while the overall behavior of Brownian motion is well understood and can be described by mathematical models, the exact path of individual particles is unpredictable and can vary greatly. This can lead to confusion and difficulty in accurately predicting the movement of particles in a fluid or gas.

4. How are Brownian sample paths studied?

Brownian sample paths are studied through experimental observations and mathematical models. Scientists can track the movement of particles under a microscope and analyze the data to understand the patterns and behavior of Brownian motion. Mathematical models, such as the Wiener process, are also used to simulate and predict Brownian sample paths.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding Brownian sample paths?

Understanding Brownian sample paths is important in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It has practical applications in areas such as diffusion processes, particle dynamics, and drug delivery. Additionally, understanding Brownian motion can help improve our understanding of natural phenomena and contribute to the development of new technologies and materials.