Confusion Related to Planck Mass

In summary, the graviton is the smallest amount of curvature possible in space-time. According to quantum mechanics, the mass which would be required to create this curvature is Planck Mass which is close to the value 10^-5g. But the elementary particles, like electrons, are much lighter than Planck mass, wouldn't they create gravitational fields less than the graviton level?
klen
Hi all,
According to quantum mechanics, the graviton is the measure of the smallest amount of curvature possible in space-time. I read that the mass which would be required to create this curvature is Planck Mass which is close to the value 10^-5g.
But the elementary particles, like electrons, are much lighter than Planck mass, wouldn't they create gravitational fields less than the graviton level?
In other words, since the basic curvature is produced by mass close to 10^-5g, how do we account for the gravitational field of elementary particles like electrons which should produce gravitatonal field less than the graviton level?

Physics news on Phys.org
klen said:
the smallest amount of curvature possible in space-time
Hi Klen:

I found a somewhat different interpretation of the Planck Mass on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_mass
The Planck mass is nature’s maximum allowed mass for point-masses (quanta) – in other words, a mass capable of holding a single elementary charge. If two quanta of the Planck mass or greater met, they could spontaneously form a black hole whose Schwarzschild radius equals their Compton wavelength.[citation needed] Once such a hole formed, other particles would fall in, and the black hole would experience runaway, explosive growth (assuming it did not evaporate via Hawking radiation). Nature’s stable point-mass particles, such as electrons and quarks, are many, many orders of magnitude lighter than the Planck mass and cannot form black holes in this manner. On the other hand, extended objects (as opposed to point-masses) can have any mass.

Unlike all other Planck base units and most Planck derived units, the Planck mass has a scale more or less conceivable to humans. It is traditionally said to be about the mass of a flea, but more accurately it is about the mass of a flea egg.​
So the criteria about smallest curvature seems to be related to having sufficient curvature to form a black hole rather than being the smallest possible curvature.

Regards,
Buzz

I'm afraid that neither premise is correct. That means that the conclusion does not follow.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm afraid that neither premise is correct.
Hi Vanadium,
Actually I was reading about the Penrose interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, where he assumes that the state vector reduction occurs only if the difference between the alternatives is equal or greater than a graviton level. He then says that matter having mass near the Planck Mass would be able to produce such an energy difference.
Does this mean that electrons or other elementary particles produce curvature which is smaller than this graviton level, and hence stay at two places at once. I found it contradicting because according to his book 'Emperor's New Mind' graviton is the smallest unit of curvature which would be allowed according to Quantum Mechanics. How could it be 'smallest' if electrons are producing fields weaker than a graviton level?
I do not have clear understanding of graviton, could you please elucidate above contradiction.

Doubling down on incorrect statements is not helpful.

Vanadium 50 said:
Doubling down on incorrect statements is not helpful.
Could you at least tell me what are you finding vague in the question so that I can rephrase it.

I'm not finding anything vague. I'm saying that the premise you are starting from is wrong.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm saying that the premise you are starting from is wrong.
What premise are you talking about

1. What is Planck mass?

The Planck mass is a unit of measurement used in theoretical physics. It is the mass at which the gravitational and quantum mechanical effects become comparable. It is approximately 2.18 x 10^-8 kilograms.

2. How is Planck mass related to confusion?

Planck mass is often associated with confusion because it is a very small and abstract concept that is difficult for many people to grasp. It is also closely linked to the concept of the Planck length, which is the smallest possible length in the universe.

3. What causes confusion related to Planck mass?

The confusion related to Planck mass is caused by the fact that it is a theoretical concept that is not directly observable or measurable. It also represents a scale of the universe that is far beyond our everyday experiences and understanding.

4. What are the implications of Planck mass in physics?

The Planck mass is important in theories of quantum gravity, as it is the mass at which the effects of gravity cannot be ignored and must be taken into account. It is also used in attempts to unify the fundamental forces of nature.

5. Can Planck mass be measured?

Currently, there is no way to directly measure the Planck mass. However, scientists can indirectly calculate it by using other fundamental constants, such as the speed of light and the gravitational constant. New technologies and advancements in physics may one day allow for a direct measurement of Planck mass.