1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjugate minimal surfaces

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the helicoid and the catenoid are conjugate minimal surfaces

2. Relevant equations
    the helicoid is given by the parameterization
    X(u,v) = (asinh(v)*cosu, asinh(v)*sinu, au) = (x1, x2, x3)
    the catenoid is given by the parameterization
    Y(u,v) = (acoshv*cosu, a coshv*sinu, av) = (y1, y2, y3)

3. The attempt at a solution

so i need that d(x1)/du = d(y1)/dv, etc, the component-wise functions must satisfy the Cauchy Riemann equations, but i'm not getting the right answers. clearly for x3 and y3, the C-R equations are satisfied.

i get:

d(x1)/du = -asinhv*sinu
    d(y1)/dv = asinhv*cosu

and the C-R equations are not even close to satisfied. but i get that the off terms satisfy the C-R equations,

d(y2)/dv = asinhv*sinu

any help? i know this is a famous classical problem in minimal surfaces, but im so stuck
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2
    here are some others:

1) Prove that no minimal surface can be a compact set
    Let M be a minimal surface that is compact and etry to derive a contradiction.

If M is minimal then the mean curvature is 0 and hence k1 = -k2.

More importantly, any parameterization X of M is continous and hence takes compact sets to compact sets, so our domain of X is a compact set. So X attains its max and min on M. Also every point is a hyperbolic point since the Gaussian curvature is negative.

but im not quite sure where to derive the contradiction.

2) Let F be a mapping from the plane without the origin and the negative real axis. so it's the open half plane onto a surface, we call this half plane U. F is given by a parameterization:

F(u,v) = (u*sinb*cosv, u*sinb*sinv, u*cosb) where b is a constant.
    a) Prove that F is a local diffeo of U onto a cone C with the vertex at the origin and 2b has the angle of the vertex.

- I'm not quite sure how to prove that something is a local diffeo. Is this the same as saying that the two spaces are isometric?
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?