Connecting different types of solar panels together

In summary, the experts agree that when connecting solar panels in series, the voltages will add up without any problem. However, there may be issues with current if the lowest capacitor cell cannot handle the maximum current of all the panels together. To prevent this, diodes can be placed across each panel to allow current to still pass even if one is shaded. It is recommended to consider the maximum current capacity of each panel when connecting them in series.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

I like to check with you , if I have 3 solar panels : 3v polycrystaline, 0.5v monocrystaline and other types of solar panel at 12v, and I connect them in series. Any side effects? Is it not advisable?

I am assuming that there will be no problem and all the voltages will just add up without any problem.

Please advise. Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mostly they just add. There can be issues with current however where the lowest capacitor cell defines the maximum current of all of them together.

Thanks Jsgruszynski :).

Interesting nick, by the way ;)

I believe there could be an issue. If you try to pass more current than a cell is designed for then won't you get over-heating?
On multiple panel PV arrays they put diodes across each unit so that it will still pass current even if it's shaded. This sounds like a similar thing.

Dear Ramone,

Connecting different types of solar panels together can potentially have some side effects. It is not advisable to connect solar panels with different voltage ratings in series, as it can lead to uneven energy production and potentially damage the panels. This is because the panels with higher voltage ratings will try to push more current through the panels with lower voltage ratings, which can cause them to overheat and potentially fail.

It is important to ensure that all the panels in a series have the same voltage rating to ensure safe and efficient operation. If you want to connect different types of panels together, it would be best to do so in separate circuits rather than in series.

I would also recommend consulting with a solar energy expert or referring to the manufacturer's guidelines to ensure that the panels are compatible and can be safely connected together.

Thank you for your question and best of luck with your solar energy endeavors.

Sincerely,

1. How do I connect different types of solar panels together?

To connect different types of solar panels, you will need a solar combiner box, which has multiple inputs for connecting the panels together. You will also need to use appropriate connectors and cables to ensure a secure and efficient connection.

2. Can I connect different types of solar panels with different wattages?

Yes, you can connect solar panels with different wattages together. However, it is important to consider the voltage and current ratings of each panel to ensure they are compatible. You may also need to use a charge controller to regulate the flow of electricity between the panels.

3. What are the benefits of connecting different types of solar panels together?

Connecting different types of solar panels together can increase the overall power output of your solar system. It also allows you to mix and match different types of panels, such as monocrystalline and polycrystalline, to optimize your system for different weather conditions.

4. Are there any risks or challenges when connecting different types of solar panels together?

There are a few potential risks and challenges when connecting different types of solar panels together. One common challenge is ensuring that all panels have the same orientation and are facing the same direction to maximize efficiency. Additionally, there may be compatibility issues between panels, so it is important to carefully research and select compatible panels.

5. Do I need any special equipment to connect different types of solar panels together?

In addition to a solar combiner box and appropriate connectors and cables, you may also need a charge controller and a power inverter if your solar panels produce AC power. It is recommended to consult with a professional solar installer to ensure you have all the necessary equipment and to properly connect the panels together.