Connection Between Calculus and Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calculus in engineering courses, specifically in deriving equations such as the power formula. The process involves using the chain rule to find the derivative of a function with respect to another function. The example given shows how voltage and current can be expressed in terms of energy, charge, and time. The speaker also expresses a desire to understand the conceptual basis of these equations.
dlacombe13
I am at the stage of my education where I am seeing calculus (mainly differential equations) popping up in my engineering courses. However, I have just started multi-variable calculus, so I have not taken differential equations yet. My professors basically show us how certain equations are derived, but do not expect us to derive them ourselves yet. However, it bothers me not knowing at least conceptually how these equations even come to be. For example:

[tex] power = \frac{dU}{dt} = \frac{dU}{dq} * \frac{dq}{dt} = iv [/tex]

I can see that current = energy/charge and that voltage = charge/time, but how exactly is calculus applied to the original power formula to come to the conclusion that power = iv? What is the mathematical process?

Physics news on Phys.org
dlacombe13 said:
current = energy/charge and that voltage = charge/time
Actually it's the other way around:
voltage = energy/charge and current = charge/time
The mathematical 'process' is the chain rule (in the 'other direction'):
if a is a function of b which in turn is a function of c, so a(b(c)), then $${da\over dc} = {da\over db} \; {db\over dc}$$​

1. How is calculus used in physics?

Calculus is used in physics to describe and analyze physical systems that involve change and motion. It allows us to study and understand the behavior of objects and systems by determining their rates of change, such as velocity, acceleration, and momentum.

2. What are some specific applications of calculus in physics?

Some specific applications of calculus in physics include determining the trajectory of a projectile, finding the center of mass of an object, and calculating the work done by a force on an object. It is also used in advanced topics such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

3. How does calculus complement Newton's laws of motion?

Calculus provides a mathematical framework for understanding and applying Newton's laws of motion. It allows us to calculate the effects of forces and changes in motion over time, as well as predict the future behavior of a system based on its initial conditions.

4. Can calculus be used to solve real-world problems in physics?

Yes, calculus is an essential tool in solving real-world problems in physics. It allows us to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as the motion of planets, the behavior of fluids, and the properties of electromagnetic fields.

5. What are the benefits of studying both calculus and physics?

Studying both calculus and physics provides a deeper understanding of the physical world and how it operates. It also develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and computer science.