Conservaion of Angular Momentum and Center of Mass

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of angular momentum and angular speed of two pucks that collide and stick together on an air table. The parallel axis theorem was used to calculate the moment of inertia for the combined system, taking into account the distances of each puck from the center of mass. The final solution involved plugging in the calculated moment of inertia into the angular momentum equation to find the angular speed.
Benkyou

Homework Statement

A puck with a mass of 0.08 kg and a radius of 0.04 m slides along an air table at a speed of 1.5 m/s. It makes a glancing collision with a second puck at rest having a radius of 0.06 m and a mass of 0.12 kg such that their rims just touch. Because their rims are coated with instant-acting glue, the pucks stick together and spin after the collision.

a) What is the angular momentum of the system relative to the center of mass?

b) What is the angular speed about the center of mass?

Homework Equations

Center of Mass equation

Angular momentum equation

Conservation of angular momentum equation

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the center of mass of the two puck system for the y-axis relative to the smaller pucks' center of mass.

CM ( j or y-axis ) = [(0.08 kg * 0 m) + (0.12 kg * 0.1 m)] / 0.2 kg = 0.06 m

Modeling the 2 puck system as a non rigid body I plugged the center of mass into the angular momentum equation for the initial situation. The larger puck is stationary so has an angular momentum of zero.

L (total sum) = m * r * v (total sum) = 0.06 m * 0.08 kg * 1.5 m/s = 7.2 x 10^-3 kg * m/s^2

My problem is that I cannot conceptually understand how I am suppose to find the angular speed by using the moment of inertia for this situation. In other words I am having trouble finding a solution to the moment of inertia for the two puck system.

I = 1/2 M R^2 for a solid cylinder and MR^2 for a particle

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found that the answer lies in using the parallel axis theorem. I am still not sure how to applies this as there are two objects glued together.

I = Icm + MD^2

Icm = Moment of Inertia for Center of Mass

What I don't understand is how I am suppose to apply the parallel axis theorem in this situation.

Benkyou said:
I found that the answer lies in using the parallel axis theorem. I am still not sure how to applies this as there are two objects glued together.

I = Icm + MD^2

Icm = Moment of Inertia for Center of Mass

What I don't understand is how I am suppose to apply the parallel axis theorem in this situation.

To apply the || axis theorem, you are going to figure it about the center of mass. The Moment of inertia of each puck then 1/2mr² - offset by their distances from the center of mass - md² - looks like what is called for here. (i.e. .08*(.06)² for the smaller and similarly for the larger.)

Thanks I got it. Appreciate the help.

Ip = (1/2 * 0.12 kg * .06m^2) + (12 kg * .04m ^2) + (1/2 * 0.08 kg * 0.04m^2) + (0.08 * 0.06m^2)

And from the moment of inertia of the pucks I can plug in and get the angular momentum

Thanks again

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, as long as no external torque is applied. This means that the total amount of rotational motion within a system remains the same, even if individual objects within the system may change their angular momentum.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia by the angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point.

3. What is the role of center of mass in conservation of angular momentum?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is concentrated. In conservation of angular momentum, the center of mass remains constant over time, meaning that the total angular momentum of a system can be calculated by considering the angular momentum of the center of mass and the individual objects within the system.

4. Can conservation of angular momentum be violated?

No, conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and has been observed to hold true in all physical systems. However, it may appear to be violated in certain situations, such as when external forces or torques are not taken into account.

5. How does conservation of angular momentum relate to real world phenomena?

Conservation of angular momentum can be seen in various real world phenomena, such as the motion of planets in our solar system, the rotation of a spinning top, and the movement of ice skaters spinning on the ice. It is also important in understanding the stability and balance of objects, such as gyroscopes and bicycles.