1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Angular Momentum & Energy question

1. Mar 20, 2015 #1
    2chorad.jpg
    Question:
    A streetcar is freely coasting (no friction) around a large circular track. It is then switched to a small circular track. When coasting on the smaller circle its speed is:

a) greater
    b) less
    c) unchanged

Relevant
    Formulas:

w = v/r
    KE = 1/2mv2

My teacher said the normal force from the track on the train doing work as the train switches from the larger to the smaller circle and something about how the conservation of momentum is not valid in this situation. And when I looked this question up online, they saw that energy is conserved. However, I'm still confused on how to solve this problem and what the answer is (I think it's unchanged?).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Does the force from the track do work on the train? That's key.

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3
    I think so? I remember my teacher saying something how the normal force does work on the train but I'm confused as to how it does.

5. Mar 25, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are right to question it. What direction will the force from the rails be in, in relation to the direction of the train's velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted