Conservation of angular momentum in a two ball collision

In summary, the problem involves two balls spinning in the same direction, colliding elastically with no tangential slip. The goal is to find the new values for the linear and angular momentum of the balls after the collision. The problem has been broken into three stages: initial, intermediate, and final. The first stage involves calculating the velocity and angular velocity of the intermediate system, which is the same for both balls. Then, the energy lost during the collision is theoretically added back into each final system as energy stored in a clock spring in order to calculate the final values for velocity and angular velocity. The main challenge is the tangential component, which has an effect on the final values. The problem involves four unknowns and three equations: linear
Tom Westbrook
I have two balls spinning with v1, omega1 and v2, omega2. They collide elastically with no tangential slip, resulting in new values for v1, omega1 and v2, omega2. I have the two components v1 & v2 figured out in the plane of contact, where angular momentum does not come into play. But I am still struggling with the tangential component that has effect on the final omegas. I have 4 unknowns, and can only come up with three equations. 1) linear momentum, 2) angular momentum, and 3) energy conservation.

I have decided to break the problem into three stages, initial, intermediate and final. The first stage would allow the calculation of an inelastic problem where v1tangential and omega of the intermediate system could be calculated, being they are the same for both balls. Then, the energy lost could be theoretical added back into each final system as energy stored in a clock spring to calculate the final omega1, omega2, and y1tangential, y2tangential. I'm still struggling with this last part. Anyone have any ideas/comments?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a vector, so conservation of linear momentum (in a plane) has two equations.

mathman said:
Momentum is a vector, so conservation of linear momentum (in a plane) has two equations.
I assume you are referring to the two orthogonal directions, say X and Y. I have solved the X direction (through to center points of the two balls, and the center point of contact. I am now attempting to solve in the Y direction (tangential to the ball surface). But just in this direction there are still 4 variables. The linear V of the two balls as they spread apart, and the angular spin of the two balls.

Tom Westbrook said:
They collide elastically with no tangential slip
is another equation.

You are dealing with a fairly complicated problem. A clear drawing might help a little. And a complete problem statement: the orientation of the spinning axis, for example -- though I think we may implicitly assume that axis is vertical (?)

The spinning axis would be out of the plane, in the z direction. Two circles in the x, y plane, both spinning in the z direction,

Attachments

• collision.png
    collision.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 606
I have broken to problem into two parts. The first part is to assume a non-elastic collision with energy lost to a theoretical clock spring that will be recovered later. Conservation of linear and angular momentum are conserved resulting in a Vfs (s for system), the same for both balls, and ωfs for the system. This is what I came up with so far (no mass, because it's the same for both balls):

(also, to simplify I am assuming point masses located at the radius. Like a dumbbell)

Linear momentum:
v1 + v2 = 2 vfs

Vfs = 1/2(v1 + v2)

Angular momentum:
-v1 r + ω1r2 + v2r + ω2r2 = -Vfs + ωfsr2 + Vfsr + ωfsr2

ωfs = 1/2(ω1 + ω2 + v2/r - V1/r)

Energy lost to a theoretical clock spring (to be recovered and entered back into the system later):

SE/m = 1/2(v12 + v22 + ω1r2 + ω22r2) - vfs2 - ωfs2r2

still working on part 2...

Last edited:
Tom Westbrook said:
They collide elastically with no tangential slip
How does that show in the outcome ? Or the picture ?

PS would it be easier to work in the center-of mass system ? there you have ##\sum \vec p = 0 ##

BvU said:
How does that show in the outcome ? Or the picture ?

Not sure I understand the question. When the two balls come into contact, it would be as if they are locking gears with no slip. If, for example, the first ball is spinning and the second one is not, it would transfer some of it's angular momentum to the spin of the other ball, with no energy loss. Let's say both of the balls are spinning in same direction, which means when they bump into each other their tangential velocities would appose each other. Some of the angular momentum would be converted to translational momentum of the two balls moving away from each other. Again with no energy loss.
BvU said:
PS would it be easier to work in the center-of mass system ? there you have ∑⃗p=0

I think that is what I am doing, at least that is what I am attempting to do. Maybe it's not clear from the drawing, but if the balls are touching, both when they hit, and after they begin to separate, the center of mass would be at the point of contact. This is the point that I am using to calculate momentum.

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external torques acting on the system. In other words, angular momentum is conserved, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed.

2. How does conservation of angular momentum apply to a two ball collision?

In a two ball collision, the total angular momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total angular momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the angular momentum of each ball before the collision is equal to the sum of their angular momentum after the collision.

3. What factors affect the conservation of angular momentum in a two ball collision?

The main factors that affect the conservation of angular momentum in a two ball collision are the masses and velocities of the balls. The larger the mass and velocity of a ball, the greater its angular momentum will be. Additionally, the angle of collision and the presence of external torques can also affect the conservation of angular momentum.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred between the two balls in a collision?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between the two colliding balls in a collision. This transfer occurs due to the conservation of angular momentum, as the total angular momentum of the system must remain constant. This transfer of angular momentum can result in changes in the direction and speed of each ball after the collision.

5. What happens to the angular momentum if a ball in a collision has no rotational motion?

If a ball involved in a collision has no rotational motion, its angular momentum will be zero. However, the conservation of angular momentum still applies, so the total angular momentum of the system must remain constant. This means that the other ball involved in the collision will have an equal and opposite angular momentum in order to maintain the conservation of angular momentum.