Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy - olympiad problem

1. Jul 10, 2010 #1
    When a rubber balloon of spherical shape with un-stretched radius 0 r is inflated to a sphere of radius r ( ≥ r0 ), the balloon surface contains extra elastic energy due to the stretching. In a simplistic theory, the elastic energy at constant temperature T can be expressed by

[tex] U= 4\Pi {r_0}^2kRT(2 {\lambda}^2+\frac{1}{\lambda^4}-3) [/tex]

(c) Express ΔP in terms of parameters given in Eq. (2.2), and sketch ΔP as a function of λ = [tex]\frac {r}{r_0}[/tex]

In the solution the problem is solved calculating the work, dW, and then making it equal to

[tex]\frac {dU}{dr}.dr[/tex]

But this isn't true. The true equation is

dW=-dU.

Are the solutions wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2010 #2
    Why do you think dW=-dU? :smile:

4. Jul 11, 2010 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful. While the force associated with the potential--in this case an elastic force--is given by F = - dU/dr, the change in potential energy is the work done against this force.

5. Jul 11, 2010 #4
    Hi,

I think I got it. I'm calculating the force associated with the pressure difference, not the force associated with the potential. These have different directions. Then, because

[tex] F_{elastic}=-\frac{dU}{dr}[/tex] (hooke's law)

[tex] \Delta P A = \frac{dU}{dr} [/tex]

Is that it?

6. Jul 11, 2010 #5

Doc Al

That's right. The force needed to expand the balloon is equal and opposite to the elastic force.

7. Jul 11, 2010 #6
    I think we need to clarify "elastic force" here a bit. The "elastic force" we derive from F=-dU/dr is a mathematical quantity equal to -delta(P)*A, while the actual elastic force is tangent to the surface. For that reason, I think we should avoid using F=-dU/dr and instead, use the energy conservation equation dW=dU.

8. Jul 11, 2010 #7

Doc Al

Good point. My point was that the force required to expand the balloon will equal dU/dr, not -dU/dr.
    My point was that dW equals (dU/dr)dr , not (-dU/dr)dr. (Equivalent to what you're saying, I think.)

9. Jul 11, 2010 #8
    Yes, they're equivalent; both leads to the same result. I just wanted to advise the OP not choose the harder path as it's more complicated to explain the term "elastic force", though your explanation goes to the root.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook