Conservation of energy question.

In summary, the conversation discusses three questions related to the conservation of energy in a laboratory setting. The first question prompts a discussion about the inevitable loss of energy due to factors such as friction and gravitation. The second question explores possible ways to compensate for these losses, such as tilting the cart or using materials with lower friction. The third question delves into the relationship between the movements and velocities of a weight and cart tied together by an inelastic cord through pulleys. The experts also touch on the conservation of energy in the lab and how to potentially compensate for energy losses in a specific experiment.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

I have three elementary questions and would appreciate feedback on my attempt at answering them. Thanks in advance!

(1) Will the laws of conservation of energy be accurately preserved in the lab?
(2) When pushing a cart across a surface, how can energy losses due to friction be compensated for?
(3) When a weight and a cart are tied together by means of an inelastic cord through a set of 3 pulleys, what would be the relation between their movements? What would be the relation between their velocities? Which component will be preserved in this setup?

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) I think they wouldn't "accurately" be conserved, as there will always be loss of energy due to friction, gravitation, etc. to heat and other forms.
(2) I think tilting the cart, thus reducing the effective surface area, should make it easier. Moreover, the wheels could, for instance, be coated with rubber or some other material which would reduce the friction, though I am not sure that's what the question aimed at.
(3) I think the cord's length will be preserved in this setup and since it is inelastic the displacement of the cart and weight, including their velocities and acceleration, will all be the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
(2) I think tilting the cart, thus reducing the effective surface area, should make it easier.
According to what equation does friction depend on area of contact?
Moreover, the wheels could, for instance, be coated with rubber or some other material which would reduce the friction
Rubber reducing friction? If the cart is on wheels, where do you think frictional losses will occur? (Don't confuse friction with rolling resistance.)
(3) I think the cord's length will be preserved in this setup and since it is inelastic the displacement of the cart and weight, including their velocities and acceleration, will all be the same.
If the pulleys are on fixed axles, yes.

Okay, and what about the conservation of energy in the lab? And pushing the cart at some angle, say arcctg alpha, which will cancel the friction, wouldn't that compensate for the loss of energy?

I meant to write, arcctg (mu).

peripatein said:
Okay, and what about the conservation of energy in the lab?
I didn't answer that because I'm not at all sure what's wanted. Conservation of energy is a universal law: it applies everywhere. You cannot always use the law in analysing processes because energy is lost in ways that are hard to measure. Also, in the lab, you are in a rotating reference frame (Earth spin, Earth orbit, solar system orbit around galaxy...) so without making allowances for those you might, with incredibly accurate equipment, detect apparent violations of conservation laws.
And pushing the cart at some angle, say arcctg alpha, which will cancel the friction, wouldn't that compensate for the loss of energy?
It says 'compensate', which doesn't necessarily mean 'cancel'. It might mean just taking them into account in analysing the results. I can't think of a generic way to do that (or to cancel them), but I might be able to come up with some way for a specific experiment.

FAQ: Conservation of energy question.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The law of conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways, such as the energy used to power our homes, cars, and electronic devices. It also applies to our own bodies, as the food we eat is converted into energy for our daily activities.

3. Can energy be converted from one form to another?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy can be transformed from one form to another. For example, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and heat energy can be converted into mechanical energy.

4. Is the law of conservation of energy always true?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed cases. However, it should be noted that in some cases, energy may appear to be lost due to inefficiencies or external factors, but it is still conserved in the overall system.

5. How does the law of conservation of energy relate to the environment and sustainability?

The law of conservation of energy is crucial in understanding and promoting sustainability in the environment. It reminds us that the resources and energy we use must be carefully managed and conserved for future generations. By reducing energy consumption and using renewable energy sources, we can help sustain the Earth's resources for the future.

Back