1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    a car(54g)(toy) releases from a high place through a railway to a flat low place. by observation from an experiment, for sure there's some energy lost causing by the friction n drag force. 2nd time i do it, i add some mass(50g) for the car n releases again. i found tat the 2nd car's energy will lose less comparing with 1st car. after i counted the percentage of energy lost, i got tat the 1st car is 60%++ but the 2nd car with bigger mass is 10%++.

By theorectical method, will the energy lost of a bigger mass larger than the small mass object?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    Good question... How is the reletive loss of energy to heat depend on body mass?

I think that if concidering loss to heat via velocity dependent friction (~v), two masses of similar proportions (say a sphere) but of deferent masses moving through similar fluid would reasult in a greater loss of reletive kinetic energy to the smaller ball (under a similar displacemet). I conclude this due to a greater ratio of contact area to mass with the a smaller object. So more contact area would result in a higher constant of friction.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    so if the contact surface area(wheel) of both cars are same, what should the result be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook