1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of linear momentum stationary block

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    I have been trying and trying to get this problem. I am using the fact that delta K = Fd, I set 0= to Fd of one part + Fd to the other part, and it is not the correct answer.

In Figure 9-57, a stationary block explodes into two pieces L and R that slide across a frictionless floor and then into regions with friction, where they stop. Piece L, with a mass of 2.4 kg, encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction µL = 0.40 and slides to a stop in distance dL = 0.15 m. Piece R encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction µR = 0.50 and slides to a stop in distance dR = 0.34 m. What was the mass of the original block?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It sounds like you are trying to apply conservation of energy. But energy is not conserved--the block exploded!

But you can use [itex]\Delta KE = Fd[/itex] for each piece to find the initial speeds of the two pieces just after the explosion. Do that and then use conservation of momentum to analyze the explosion itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?