Conservation of momentum (extremely easy but confusing)

In summary, the conversation discusses a poorly worded question about the relationship between an object's mass and its momentum. The options provided do not take into account the object's velocity, making it difficult to determine the correct answer. The most logical option is C - sometimes increases, sometimes decreases. However, the question itself is flawed and could lead to incorrect answers.
avenkat0

Homework Statement

If the mass of an object increases, its momentum
A. always increases
B. always decreases
C. sometimes increases, sometimes decreases
D. sometimes decreases, never increases
E. sometimes increases, never decreases

Homework Equations

MV=momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured if one of the variables increased the whole would increases but it turned out to be wrong.
Then if the velocity changed with the mass momentum would remain the same. but that choice is nowhere to be found.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, the question in itself is poorly worded as we have no information regarding the velocity. However, since we have no information on the velocity, we have no way of knowing if the momentum will increase or decrease so I would have to say C.

Turned out to be wrong... :( that was my last shot.
Thats such a bad question... is any other answer possible?

The question clearly has been phrased in a horrible way, I agree with Hoot. A smart student should answer c), a not so smart student will probably answer a) and might even get it "correct." Where did you get this question?

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by external forces.

Why is conservation of momentum important?

Conservation of momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in a system. It allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions about the behavior of objects, such as their speed and direction of motion.

How does conservation of momentum apply to everyday life?

Conservation of momentum can be seen in many everyday situations, such as a game of billiards or a car crash. In these scenarios, the total momentum of the objects involved remains constant, even as their individual momenta may change.

What is the difference between conservation of momentum and conservation of energy?

Conservation of momentum and conservation of energy are both fundamental principles in physics, but they refer to different quantities. While conservation of momentum refers to the total momentum of a closed system, conservation of energy refers to the total energy of a closed system.

What is an example of a system where conservation of momentum does not apply?

An example of a system where conservation of momentum does not apply is a rocket in space. The rocket's propulsion system creates an external force on the system, causing its momentum to change over time. However, if we consider the rocket and its exhaust gases as a closed system, the total momentum of the system would still be conserved.