Conservation of Momentum in a 2D Collision

In summary: You can use the velocity you've found to predict where m1 and m3 will be in 5 seconds. Then see if the path of m2 will intersect one of those predicted paths.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of final velocities for two masses after an elastic collision. Using momentum and energy conservation, the final velocity of m2 is found to be 16 m/s [+x 11 +y] and it is determined that the collision is inelastic based on the difference between initial and final kinetic energies. The problem then asks about the possibility of a second collision between the masses, and it is suggested to use the velocities found in the first collision to predict the paths of the masses and see if they will intersect in
syntax_error

Homework Statement

Two masses, m1 = 4 kg and m2 = 12 kg, have initial velocities of v1i = 28 m/s [+x 35 +y] and v2i = [-y 60 +x]. If the first mass has a final velocity of v1f = 18 m/s [-y 40 +x], find:

a). The final velocity of m2.
b). Whether or not the collision can be said to be elastic.
c). If a thirst mass, m3 = 8 kg with an initial velocity of v3i = 45 m/s [+x 75 +y], were to strike the 1st mass 5 sec after the initial collision took place, will the first 2 masses ever collide again, and if so, where? Justify your answer. (Assume that this collision is elastic).

Homework Equations

P = mv
Pi = Pf
Eki = Ekf

The Attempt at a Solution

a). Using Pi = Pf, I got the velocity of m2 to be 16 m/s [+x 11 +y].

b). The answer I got was that collision is inelastic because,
Eki != Ekf
L.S = 2744 J
R.S = 2184 J
Since L.S is not equal to R.S the collision isn't elastic.

c). Here's the problem. They haven't given any information as to what happens after the collision so I don't know how to use Pi = Pf or Eki = Ekf here. Anybody have any pointers on how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
syntax_error said:
have initial velocities of v1i = 28 m/s [+x 35 +y] and v2i = [-y 60 +x].
I don't understand your notation. Can you explain what [+x 35 +y] and [-y 60 +x] mean?

c). Here's the problem. They haven't given any information as to what happens after the collision so I don't know how to use Pi = Pf or Eki = Ekf here. Anybody have any pointers on how to solve this?
First you'll need the velocity of the first mass after its collision with the third mass. To find that, you'll need to use both momentum and energy conservation.

[+x 35 +y] is basically the same as [East 35 North] and [-y 60 +x] is [South 60 East].

I found the velocity of the first mass using this equation,

V1f = (m1-m3/m1+m3)v1i + (2*m3/m1+m3)v2i

The answer came up to be 9 m/s [East 80 North]

What next?

Figure out where m2 is at this time (5 seconds after the first collision), then see if their paths intersect.

1. What is 2D conservation of momentum?

The 2D conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states the total momentum of a system in two dimensions remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is momentum defined in 2D conservation of momentum?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity in a particular direction. In 2D conservation of momentum, momentum is conserved in both the x and y directions separately.

3. What is the equation for 2D conservation of momentum?

The equation for 2D conservation of momentum is: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is the mass and v is the velocity of each object before and after a collision.

4. How is 2D conservation of momentum applied in real-life situations?

2D conservation of momentum is applied in various real-life situations, such as in collisions between objects, explosions, and rocket propulsion. It helps scientists and engineers understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion and design more efficient and safe systems.

5. Are there any limitations to 2D conservation of momentum?

While 2D conservation of momentum is a useful tool in understanding and analyzing physical systems, it does have limitations. It assumes that the system is isolated and there are no external forces acting on the objects. In reality, there are always external forces present, so the conservation of momentum may not be completely accurate.