1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum problem

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A gun is fired vertically into a 1.40kg block of wood at rest directly above it. If the bullet has a mass of 21.0g and a speed of 310m/s, how high will the block rise into the air after the bullet becomes imbedded into it?

2. Relevant equations
    m1v1+m2v2= m1v11+ m2v12

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I first converted 21.0 grams into .021kg because I know you use kg for this equation.
    After substituing in a few things this is as far as I have gotten:

m1v1+m2v2= m1v11+ m2v12
    (.021)(0)+(1.40)(0)=(.021)(310)+(1.40)(V)
    V= -4.65m/s as the final velocity of the block

so from here I have a few questions first did I do this part correctly and from here how would I proceed in order to determine how high the block will go?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Not sure where your - sign is from, but for positive y up, 4.6 m/s looks about right.
    (Your equations look like there are typos.)

Now you know your mv for the combined block/bullet and that Kinetic energy = ½mv² , and that energy will eventually be consumed by gravity with mgh which is the height you are looking for.

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    Thank you ever so much! That makes so much sense!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?