Conservation of Momentum problem.

In summary, the problem involves a 50.0g bullet becoming embedded in a 7.00kg stationary block and resulting in the block and bullet moving at a velocity of 5.00m/s right. The question asks for the initial velocity of the bullet, which is found to be 706m/s right. The error in the initial attempt was due to incorrect unit conversion.
Imbadatphysics

Homework Statement

Im stuck on this question please help. =/
a 50.0g bullet travels right and becomes embedded in a 7.00kg stationary block. the block and embedded bullet moves off at a velocity of 5.00m/s right. what was the initial velocity of the bullet? the answer is 706m/s right.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20150716_205938.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Watch your units. Try including units when you set up your equation.

ohh i see so instead of 50g i convert it to 0.05kg i got 710m/s its still 4m/s off?

nvm I am bad sorry for wasting ur time gg it was 35.25 instead of 35

Related to Conservation of Momentum problem.

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is an example of a conservation of momentum problem?

An example of a conservation of momentum problem is a billiard ball collision. If two billiard balls collide on a frictionless surface, the total momentum before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

5. How does conservation of momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of momentum is a direct result of Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision must be equal, in accordance with this law.