Conservation of momentum uranium atom problem

In summary, a uranium atom of mass 238 decays by emitting an alpha particle (the nucleus of a helium atom) of mass 4u at a speed of 2 x 107 m/s. The recoil speed of the resulting nucleus immediately after the decay is 0.067c.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A uranium atom of mass 238 u decays by emitting an alpha particle (the nucleus of a helium atom) of mass 4 u at a speed of 2 x 107 m/s. (Note that "u" is the symbol for atomic mass units and 1 u = 1.67 x 10-27 kg.) What is the recoil speed of the resulting nucleus immediately after the decay?

Homework Equations

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was realize that the total momentum before the uranium emittes the alpha particle is zero so the momentum after the alpha particle is released is zero. So m1v1 + m2v2 = 0. I plugged in the masses of the two particles and the speed of the smaller particle and solved for the velocity of the larger particle to get the recoil speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct (in the inertial rest frame of the nucleus).
It would be a tiny bit better to have said it this way:
"Since (linear) momentum is conserved, the total momentum before the decay is exactly the same as after it."
This avoids the problem of which rest frame you are referring to. Nothing much wrong with claiming momentum (or velocity) is zero, aside from the fact that it is only zero for one particular set of coordinates. What you can calculate is the difference in velocity of the two particles after the decay, compared to before it. That is
MuVu = MthVth+MaVa (where V are the velocity vectors, and u=uranium, th= thorium and a= alpha particle). Choosing Vu to be zero greatly simplifies the math. Picking the right coordinates is a very important consideration in solving Physics problems.
Oops!
2E7 m/s ?? 2E7 m/c ÷ 3E8 m/s ~ 0.067c...you *might* want to add the relativistic correction to the momentum of the alpha particle - meaning its momentum is actually more than just ma*va. The Th nucleus will have a velocity substantially lower, so you don't need to worry about it's relativistic momentum. √(1-(v/c)²) ~
√(1-0.067²) ~ 0.998; meaning given velocity with one place precision, no relativistic correction is necessary even for the alpha particle.

Last edited:
abitslow said:
That is correct (in the inertial rest frame of the nucleus).
It would be a tiny bit better to have said it this way:
"Since (linear) momentum is conserved, the total momentum before the decay is exactly the same as after it."
This avoids the problem of which rest frame you are referring to. Nothing much wrong with claiming momentum (or velocity) is zero, aside from the fact that it is only zero for one particular set of coordinates. What you can calculate is the difference in velocity of the two particles after the decay, compared to before it. That is
MuVu = MthVth+MaVa (where V are the velocity vectors, and u=uranium, th= thorium and a= alpha particle). Choosing Vu to be zero greatly simplifies the math. Picking the right coordinates is a very important consideration in solving Physics problems.
Where are you getting Thorium?

BrainMan said:
Where are you getting Thorium?
That's element 90 .

SammyS said:
That's element 90 .
Is it the same thing as the alpha particle?

BrainMan said:
Is it the same thing as the alpha particle?
No.

What is an alpha particle's composition?

I don't know I haven't learned anything about particles on an atomic level.

SammyS said:
No.

I haven't learned anything about particles of that size.

BrainMan said:
I haven't learned anything about particles of that size.
What size ?

From your OP:

... emitting an alpha particle (the nucleus of a helium atom) of mass 4 u ...

Ok so the only particles involved are the alpha particle that has a mass 4u and the uranium particle with mass 238? If so what did I do wrong in my original calculations?

SammyS said:

You didn't really answer this. You could easily look it up, but here's the answer.

The alpha particle is composed of 2 protons & 2 neutrons.

BrainMan said:
Ok so the only particles involved are the alpha particle that has a mass 4u and the uranium [STRIKE]particle[/STRIKE] nucleus with mass 238? If so what did I do wrong in my original calculations?

If a Uranium (atomic number, 92) nucleus loses 2 protons (and 2 neutrons), what will be the resulting element ?

SammyS said:
You didn't really answer this. You could easily look it up, but here's the answer.

The alpha particle is composed of 2 protons & 2 neutrons.

If a Uranium (atomic number, 92) nucleus loses 2 protons (and 2 neutrons), what will be the resulting element ?

OK it is Thorium. So what do I do after I realize that it is Thorium?

BrainMan said:
OK it is Thorium. So what do I do after I realize that it is Thorium?
The fact that the other resultant particle is Thorium was an interesting discussion, but not relevant to solving the question. You know its atomic mass, and that's all that matters.
In the OP, you didn't indicate what answer you got or whether it was known to be wrong. Are you now saying your answer was wrong? If so, either you made a calculation error or you need to take into account the relativistic momentum of the alpha particle, as abitslow suggested. Please post your answer and the one given as correct.

haruspex said:
The fact that the other resultant particle is Thorium was an interesting discussion, but not relevant to solving the question. You know its atomic mass, and that's all that matters.
In the OP, you didn't indicate what answer you got or whether it was known to be wrong. Are you now saying your answer was wrong? If so, either you made a calculation error or you need to take into account the relativistic momentum of the alpha particle, as abitslow suggested. Please post your answer and the one given as correct.

OK here is what I did to calculate my answer
238u(v) = -(4u)(2 x 107 m/s)
v = -3.36 x 105 m/s
the correct value for v should be 3.42 x 105 m/s

Sorry for the confusion

BrainMan said:
OK here is what I did to calculate my answer
238u(v) = -(4u)(2 x 107 m/s)
v = -3.36 x 105 m/s
the correct value for v should be 3.42 x 105 m/s
With that small a discrepancy, I'd suggest just using the mass of thorium instead of uranium. Since your initial data have only one significant figure, you can probably ignore the binding energy difference and any relativistic corrections due to the speed of the α, and also just take the mass of thorium to be ##238 - 4##. As for the sign, I'd guess they just chose a different positive direction.

tms said:
With that small a discrepancy, I'd suggest just using the mass of thorium instead of uranium.
BrainMan, in case it's not clear, you should have used 234 in the first place. The m1 and m2 of your equation here map to the 234u and 4u, as though two separate objects from the start.
As for the sign, I'd guess they just chose a different positive direction.
The OP asks for speed, not velocity, so an unsigned answer is required.

haruspex said:
The OP asks for speed, not velocity, so an unsigned answer is required.
So it does.

Ok I get it now. Thanks!

1. What is conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How does conservation of momentum apply to a uranium atom?

In an isolated system, such as a uranium atom, the total momentum of the atom before any interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction. This means that the momentum of the uranium atom will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.

3. Why is conservation of momentum important in understanding nuclear reactions?

In nuclear reactions, such as those that occur in a uranium atom, the conservation of momentum helps us understand how particles behave and interact with each other. It allows us to predict the outcomes of these reactions and understand the energy and momentum distribution of the particles involved.

4. How does the mass of a uranium atom affect its momentum?

The mass of an object is directly proportional to its momentum. This means that a heavier uranium atom will have a greater momentum compared to a lighter atom, assuming they have the same velocity.

5. Is conservation of momentum always applicable in all situations?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and is applicable in most situations. However, in certain extreme conditions, such as in quantum mechanics or at the speed of light, the concept of momentum conservation may need to be modified to accurately describe the behavior of particles.