Considering French universities/Grande Ecoles

• Schools
  • Thread starter ZComet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about considering studying in France, with the ENS de Lyon being a top choice due to its reputation and intense curriculum. However, there is also a concern about the regular universities having a "party school" mentality. The speaker has lived in France and shares their experience with student protests and disruptions to classes. The government's policies and changes in university funding are also mentioned. Another person shares their father's perspective on students in France and the potential for distractions in the first year. The ENS de Lyon is described as a serious and highly selective school.
ZComet
I am considering, among my other options, to go to France next year. My choice is the ENS de Lyon, which I have heard bears both a great reputation and a highly intensive curriculum. However in the event of failure to be admitted I may consider the regular universities, but I have read in many sources that the regular unis have a strong "party school" mentality.

Have anyone of you guys been to France and able to tell how things really are as compared to US or UK?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't live there anymore since 2006 but my mother is professor in a French University (by the way I'm French and I have lived a bit more than half my life there).
I can tell you that when the Government make a choice that students really don't like, they would block the University until being heard. It can last months (3 months is not really surprising) and students don't have classes. However the final exams aren't reported nor easier than usual, so students have to learn by they own. When many students get upset of not being able to have classes, each University (entirely controlled by students during those time) make a pool in order to vote if they shall continue the blocking or not. The majority wins. So some Universities might return to a normal functioning while others don't, until an at least 1 week postponed time where a new pool takes place. And so on.
Since Sarkozy has been elected, I think each year many students lose around 1 month of classes.
I hope I didn't discouraged you. I can't compare with US or UK, but I'm pretty sure those events wouldn't happen at MIT. (They do happen at La Sorbonne however, not sure about the ENS de Lyon : I don't think it is sometime blocked but I can't assure you. You might ask yourself to people there).

My father who taught in Canada and France told me that as universities in France are free, many students that don't have a defined career goal sit down in classes for chat instead of studying. I think it might be true for the first year. But now with Sarkozy, I think the University is not free anymore so things might change a bit.

Good luck with the ENS of Lyon... I think it should be a very serious École.

Thanks for your reply fluidistic. It seems French regular unis isn't a good idea after all...

ZComet said:
Thanks for your reply fluidistic. It seems French regular unis isn't a good idea after all...

Don't make your decision/mind with a single voice. By this I mean to wait someone else to give his opinion.

Never been to an ecole myself, but there was someone representing the ecoles at my school. You have to go through a 2 year training program or something, in French. And if you don't know French they teach it to you concurrently. At the end of the 2 years, you have to take a test and your placement in the test decides where you get in.

At least, that's what the woman told us. :S

1. What is the difference between a French university and a Grande Ecole?

A French university is a higher education institution that offers a wide range of courses in various fields, while a Grande Ecole is a more specialized and prestigious institution that focuses on specific fields such as engineering, business, or political science. Grande Ecoles often have more selective admission processes and smaller class sizes.

2. How do I apply to a French university or Grande Ecole?

The application process varies depending on the institution, but generally you will need to submit an online application, provide transcripts and possibly other documents, and take entrance exams if required. It is important to carefully research the application requirements for each institution you are interested in.

3. Do I need to speak French to attend a French university or Grande Ecole?

While some programs may be offered in English, most courses at French universities and Grande Ecoles are taught in French. Therefore, it is recommended to have at least a basic understanding of the language before applying. Some institutions may also require proof of French language proficiency.

4. Can international students attend French universities or Grande Ecoles?

Yes, many French universities and Grande Ecoles have a diverse student body and welcome international students. However, the application process and requirements may be different for international students, so it is important to check with each institution for specific information.

5. What are the tuition fees for French universities and Grande Ecoles?

The tuition fees for French universities and Grande Ecoles vary depending on the institution and program. Public universities have lower tuition fees compared to private institutions, and international students may have higher fees than domestic students. It is best to check with each institution for specific information on tuition fees.