1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant acceleration and free fall

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    Hey, I've been having some problems with finding out the rocket's maximum altitude and was wondering if anyone could help. The question information is:

A 200kg weather rocket is loaded with 100 kg of fuel and fired straight up. It accelerates upward at 34.0 for 31.0 , then runs out of fuel. Ignore any air resistance effects.

So far i've taken:

sf= si + 0.5(34.0m/s2)(31.0s)^2 and I got 16337 m however, i know that this is only from 0m to the point at which the rocket runs out of fuel.

Next, I was trying to find the distance from this point to the point where the rocket will reach a final velocity of 0m/s however I'm unsure how to do this. I know that the acceleration now will be -9.81m/s2 but i'm unsure how to complete this problem.

Thanks a lot!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2
    What is the velocity when it runs out of fuel?

You have a formula for that. Even though you shouldn't need to look up a formula if you know what acceleration is.

What do you think you should do after?

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    oh my goodness, i can't belive that i didn't see that lol. thank you so much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?