Constant beam, both slits analyzed double-slit experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photon interference and whether an experiment has been attempted where all photons in a beam are interacted with. The speaker also questions if the interference pattern seen in double-slits is a probability expression of single photons. The response explains that this is the case and that the classical double-slit experiment does not demonstrate any uniquely quantum effects.
Kurt Mueller
TL;DR Summary
Has an experiment been attempted wherein all photons in a beam are interacted with?
I keep seeing that it's assumed that photons interfere with each other, and there are other points of proof for this like destructive interference, etc., but I've never seen an experiment in which a constant beam is used but both slits are analyzed or the energy required for measurement is attempted to be applied to all photons passing through both slits.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kurt Mueller said:
Summary:: Has an experiment been attempted wherein all photons in a beam are interacted with?

I keep seeing that it's assumed that photons interfere with each other, and there are other points of proof for this like destructive interference, etc., but I've never seen an experiment in which a constant beam is used but both slits are analyzed or the energy required for measurement is attempted to be applied to all photons passing through both slits.

Thank you.
Do you have an experimental set-up in mind?

Note that photons do not interfere with each other. A photon may loosely be said to interfere with itself, in the sense that there may be an interference term in its probability amplitude.

Likes Kurt Mueller
So then is the interference pattern seen in the double slits, even if you used many photons versus one, considered to always be this probability expression of single photons? I likely was just then under a misapprehension.

And I didn't have an experimental setup in mind. I'm just curious.

Kurt Mueller said:
So then is the interference pattern seen in the double slits, even if you used many photons versus one, considered to always be this probability expression of single photons? I likely was just then under a misapprehension.
Yes, exactly. The interference pattern is created by each photon interfering with itself. However, with QM nothing is ever quite that simple:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/6234/does-a-photon-interfere-only-with-itself

Likes Lord Jestocost and Kurt Mueller
Kurt Mueller said:
So then is the interference pattern seen in the double slits...
A subtlety that is often left out of non-technical discussions is that in quantum mechanical double-slit experiments we do not look at the screen and see interference. Instead the screen is something like a piece of photographic film. We send photons at the barrier one at a time, and each one lands at a single point on the film; when we develop the film there's a dot at that point. To "see" the interference pattern we have to let the experiment run long enough for many dots to form; then when we develop the film we find alternating regions with many dots and few dots indicating that the each photon had a higher probability of landing in some regions than in others. The pattern is the same as long as the number of dots is the same; 1000 photons arriving in one second or one photon arriving every second for 1000 seconds yield the same pattern, which is a fairly convincing argument that the interference is a single-photon phenomenon.

But to continue to your question
So then is the interference pattern seen in the double slits, even if you used many photons versus one, considered to always be this probability expression of single photons?
Yes. You don't see much quantum mechanical discussion of this case because it is just the ordinary classical double-slit experiment first done by Thomas Young around 1805 (shine a light source at a barrier containing two slits, observe alternating brighter and darker illuminated regions on the screen) which doesn't provide any insight about quantum behavior. We explain Young's results with two equivalent descriptions:
1) We have electromagnetic waves, they interfere to produce alternating regions of high intensity and low intensity according to well-known wave principles.
2) We do various appallingly complex and abstract calculations with the theory of quantum electrodynamics, we use the fact that the energy carried by the beam is large compared with the energy of any single photon, and we end up with a result that says that the energy delivered per unit time (that's "intensity") at any point on the screen is proportional to the probability of photon arrival at that point.

So when we're done the #2 calculation gives us the same result as the #1 calculation and doesn't demonstrate any uniquely quantum effect - and that's why you won't see as much discussion of it. It's the dot-at-a-time experiments working with single particles that distinguish the quantum electrodynamic photon model from the classical electromagnetic wave model.

Likes vanhees71, Kurt Mueller and PeroK
Kurt Mueller said:
Summary:: Has an experiment been attempted wherein all photons in a beam are interacted with?

Thank you.

This is a fairly complex experiment, but it does demonstrate that the "interaction" (your term) is applied to all photons. Polarizers are used, and the key thing that varies is their relative orientation.

https://sciencedemonstrations.fas.h...-demonstrations/files/single_photon_paper.pdf

Likes vanhees71 and Kurt Mueller
Thank you all for your in-depth responses. You're amazing people. I hope to be like you one day.

Likes PeroK

1. What is a constant beam, both slits analyzed double-slit experiment?

A constant beam, both slits analyzed double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in quantum mechanics where a beam of particles or waves is passed through two parallel slits in a barrier, resulting in an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the barrier.

2. How does a constant beam, both slits analyzed double-slit experiment work?

In this experiment, a constant beam of particles or waves is directed towards a barrier with two parallel slits. The particles or waves pass through the slits and interfere with each other, creating an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the barrier. This pattern is a result of the wave-like nature of the particles or waves.

3. What is the purpose of a constant beam, both slits analyzed double-slit experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that particles, such as electrons, can behave like waves and exhibit interference patterns, similar to light waves. This experiment also helps to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

4. What are the key findings of a constant beam, both slits analyzed double-slit experiment?

The key findings of this experiment include the interference pattern created by the particles or waves passing through the slits, which supports the wave-like behavior of matter. It also shows that the behavior of particles at the quantum level is unpredictable and can only be described by probabilities.

5. How is a constant beam, both slits analyzed double-slit experiment relevant in modern science?

This experiment is still relevant in modern science as it helps to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It has also been used in various studies and experiments, such as the famous double-slit experiment with single photons, to further explore the wave-particle duality of matter and the principles of quantum mechanics.